Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are 5mw lasers safe?

cb19

I have a laserglow lyra and i love it, it is my real first expensive laser. I am new with lasers and dont know to much about them. I have been looking on the forum and just cant find the answer to " are 5mw lasers safe?" so i just want your opinion. Also i had a couple more questions. Is it bad to look at the dot on the wall or on the floor of a 5mw laser? Im asking this because i have a dog and a cat and when they play with my laser it just seems that the laser is so close to there face and it could be damaging their eyes and my eyes. And lastley is it fine for me to look at the dot when shining it up close. All these questions ahve probably been asked before and im sorry if i am repeating but i just cant find the answers.
Thank you guys so much,
cb19

Zeebit

5mW should be relatively safe as long as it is not intentionally aimed towards an eye. It should be safe to look at a dot of a 5mw pointer. If you are concerned with your pets its better to let them chase the dot on a non reflective surface or you could just stop it.

Lolvo

Quite safe! The accidental eye-shot won't do harm, just do not intentionally do so. You should be free to have some fun and do some star-gazing!

All of your other questions, you are fine! Again a 5mW laser will not do damage unless intentionally directed towards an eye and is stared at for a questionable amount of time.

I assume you don't stare into the light for funsies, so yeah get lasing!

Class 3r (3a), i.e. < 5mW output power, lasers are safe under the assumption that your blink reflex will kick in if you get flash-blinded. So that essentially means you need to limit your direct exposure to less than about 250msec.

When I was in Middle School, I had a 5mW red laser that I brought to school. No one knew about lasers back then and so everyone wanted to borrow mine. This kid named James borrowed it, I told him "don't point it in your eyes or at anyone else"

so what's the first thing he does? He shines it straight into his eye and says "Wow, the light is really sparkly"

everyone kept asking where to get one, so I'd tell them (not knowing they'd abuse them) 5mW red lasers were about $28. One kid borrowed my laser and I told him "Don't shine it during class, or at other people" The next day, he comes into class with replacement cash and says the teacher took a hammer to it. After enough kids caught on, during assemblies they'd shine dots all over the cheer leaders etc. I was furious because I knew this kind of behavior would get lasers in trouble, which it did.

but back on to my point, Although James didn't seem to suffer any long-term eye damage, I'd still recommend against getting it into your eyes.

Last edited:

cb19

Laserbuddy ^^ funny story Hahahahaha. And do you need glasses or no?

Zeebit

Not a funny story actually. This is the reason why there are laws restricting the use of lasers. Glasses are not needed to 5mW and below.

Last edited:
so what's the first thing he does? He shines it straight into his eye and says "Wow, the light is really sparkly"

Yeah, I remember those types of kids. They were the complete idiots but you would probably still get the blame if he got hurt.

After enough kids caught on, during assemblies they'd shine dots all over the cheer leaders etc. I was furious because I knew this kind of behavior would get lasers in trouble, which it did.

Yeah, while they didn't flash the cheerleaders, at our assemblies people would paint the projector screen with their laser pointers. Back then any color besides red would've been really cool.