Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arcane 2.0 445nm 7w saftey glasses

Hey guys, been lurking on here for a while but this is my first post. First off I wanna say thanks for all the info and wisdom everyone has to offer on here, its amazing to have access to a community of enthusiasts who are all knowledgeable, helpful and safe. Which brings me to the purpose of my post.

Regarding the Arcane 2.0 445nm 7watt laser, what safety goggles would work? Ive been looking around for a few days and I'm having a hard time finding out what safety goggles have what "Watt" rating. I'm assuming the OD "optical density" has something to do with it but I cant figure out how to translate it.

Normally I would just get some high quality goggles but the 7watt laser is such a jump up in power compared to other high powered lasers on the market that I want to be sure I am protected. I was looking at dragon lasers, thor labs, OEM, phillips laser saftey, ARG.

Specifically (just 2 examples):

ARGARG
specifications: 180-532 OD 7+

&

110 is an ultra-light-weight comfortable frame with a double coated scratch-resistant polycarbonate laser glasses filter. 110 laser filter offers protection from KTP, Argon, and green light lasers (190-532 nm). Will also protect from CO2 laser styste110 is an ultra-light-weight comfortable frame with a double coated scratch-resistant polycarbonate laser glasses filter. 110 laser filter offers protection from KTP, Argon, and green light lasers (190-532 nm). Will also protect from CO2 laser styste
specifications: OD 6+ @ 190-532 nm

These glasses have an OD rating of 7+ and 6+ in the target NM range so are these numbers good?

honestly I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the science of these lasers, plus I'm trying to be cautions.
So to sum up my question, are these relativity high end products enough to provide me with the protection I need against a 7 watt laser? And what kind of "OD" rating do I need for the Arcane 2.0 445nm 7w?

I agree most Laser companies offer or recommend appropriate safety gear for their products. The powers of lasers are increased double they were two years ago. If you sell lasers, the least you can do is offer or recommend the correct safety gear. You want a higher OD than the wattage of your laser of course

Even OD5 will protect you when viewing the dot or burning something with a laser up to 10 watts, but yes you are wise to get something better in case of an accident like a reflection or a laser getting dropped or rolling of a table and flashing you in the eye for an instant. I think those gasses would be fine although with a laser of that power I don't trust any to protect from a direct hit, although they should for a second or two.

Alan

Thanks for the responses guys!

So it sounds like any goggles with a OD 5 should be fine for any non reflective surface the laser would hit. However since the laser is so strong I would be better off using something with a higher OD rating. So far I'm having a hard time finding anything higher than 8 so I guess I'm gonna go with something in that range.

Any more opinions, suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated. Ill post some pictures once I get the ARCANE!

I always double mine up, you should not be able to see any blue if wearing orange/amber color safety glasses when working with a blue laser, if you are seeing any blue you need more glasses.

The OD number is a factor of 10.

If your cheap glasses only block 1/100 of the light and you double them up then 1/100 goes through the first lens then 1/100 of that goes through the second lens.

In effect theoretically, you can take 2 OD+2 glasses, double them up and have OD+4

But do so at your own risk, buy good glasses made to attenuate the wavelength you are working with.

If you buy cheap glasses at your own risk I recommend buying 2 pairs and double then up.