Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

anyone reviews Senkats laser?

He was nice enough to send me one of his latest creations.... a Red laser made by himself with a focus ring on front.

The Focus ring is way cooler than I thought it would be.....
This is a pen style thats chrome with a on off button.

At first, I thought it was broke as it would flicker or not come on at all...... I had NiMh rechargables in it... I put in some regular Alkalines and now it works perfect without fluctuation or failure.

I was able to pop a black balloon from 15 feet away... but it has to be still "thats a given"... I was totally surprised?

I've never played with a red laser this powerful... interesting that I thought it was weak at first as I can barely feel the heat from it...even when its focused on my skin "unlike the green"...but this sucker will punch a hole in a balloon no sweat!....

I tried to burn a red tipped match to no avail...... I bet if it was green it would go up in smoke...... I didn't try painting one black and letting it dry or anything.

This is a pretty cool accomplishment!
Seeing how the Alkalines made such a big difference... I would think Lithium would be even better.... but seems I remember lithiums are a no no in Reds..... so I didn't try those.

Way to go Senkat!

Rhith

Lithiums are a No No in Pulsars, not reds. This is because they don't have any apparent regulation so the huge spike in voltage can kill one. I've measured lithiums at 1.9V :eek: :eek: compared to the usual 1.6-1.7V in brand new alkalines.

Milos

Rhith said:
Lithiums are a No No in Pulsars, not reds. This is because they don't have any apparent regulation so the huge spike in voltage can kill one. I've measured lithiums at 1.9V :eek: :eek: compared to the usual 1.6-1.7V in brand new alkalines.

yep,
I concur with all above statements

Y

yew.sir-name

I've got a sentorch, can't fault it, i've popped at atleast 30ft i'd say (not even tried to play with the focus) , maybe even more. no vid at that distance though. Not played with it for a while, had it out in the fog lastnight, i'm gonna upload some pics in a bit, hopefully it's foggy again tonight an i'll get it out.

Talking about pics... <---hint :)

Y

yew.sir-name

Yup, there are pics of the board and more info on them somewhere on the site.

So I guess the next question will be has anyone used lithiums in them and gotten away with it, and have you noticed a difference if so?

Edit........

I may have answered my own question..
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1191352076 .... Post #7

But I think I want to hear it from him before I stick lithiums in it...... this could possibly be one of those other boards.... I don't think he specified.

T

timelord

I was told by SenKat that lithiums work just fine in the Sentorches. He also supplied me with some liths and that's all I've been running in my Sentorch ;)

Attachments

• DSC00085.JPG
    DSC00085.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 97
Y

yew.sir-name

ahh, i think you misunderstood, a 'sentorch' is the laser from the group buy, uses two CR123A 3v lithiums.

S

SenKat

In the Sentorches, YES ! I have not tried any rechargable liths - and I think those WILL kill them...If they dies from an overvoltage situation, I do not htink I can get the manufacturer to cover them under the warranty.

Windstrings - Do not use Liths in that laser I made for you - I made it regulated to take 3v MAX - like from alkaline batts......I was trying to keep the cost low, both on the unit, and on the batts it took. Liths will most likely kill that laser !

Thanks... I finally gathered the term "Senlaser" or "Sentorch" was from the buy.... different than this one that holds AAA batteries...

thanks..

yew.sir-name said:
ahh, i think you misunderstood, a 'sentorch' is the laser from the group buy, uses two CR123A 3v lithiums.

Thanks.... BTW.... you know your avatar is just "wrong" don't you?.... ;D

Not sure quite what this is Greg made Windstrings, but it sounds like a similar design to a pulsar - IE, no lithiums in it.

There's no reason red's in general cannot be regulated, but in pen-size, all I've ever seen are units run directly off 2xAAA batts (in this case, do not use liths. Even alks can cause problems over time).

S

SenKat

It IS regulated (it's an older-styled Pulsar Shell) but I did not compensate for liths....I am afraid that would push the regulation too hard :(

Y

yew.sir-name

windstrings said:
Thanks.... BTW.... you know your avatar is just "wrong" don't you?.... ;D

It's great, but i saw one with a shark that has a laser on its head, that one is genius.