Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone know how 473n light is made?

Hello all,

Since I will be picking up my Aquarius soon, I started to wonder how 473nm is made.

I searched around and did not find a straight forward answer apart from 946nm being doubled to 473nm. I have no clue if this is the right answer but im just curious.

Anyone can give greenie a lift? :beer:

Thanks,
Alex

Typically it is done with a YAG and an LBO. but there are a few methods, just like there are for green. Its more inefficient than green however, and the crystals are more temperature sensative, and need a better alignment. (the LBO tends to get hot, and has to be sinked pretty good for long life)

Last edited:
Isnt there also a diode that produces 473nm? I was reading on is somewhere.

Maybe off-topic but if it turns out to be true then that is ONE answer to the question.

I will look it up now.

:beer:
-Matt

Last edited:

Maybe off-topic but if it turns out to be true then that is ONE answer to the question.

I will look it up now.

-Matt

EDIT: Here SELLING 473nm laser diodes

I think I read about that as well. If you do find it KRNA, please do report back :beer:

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:
Some guy just PMed me saying that posting links to PL can get me banned

So i removed it just to be safe.

-Matt

I will look it up now.

-Matt

there is, but they're very expensive :beer:

there is, but they're very expensive :beer:

Kaiser, I have a question on my mind about these "diodes".

I understand the higher price point since they are just diodes and not DPSS but isn't it worth everyone's money to just buy the DPSS version?

I clearly can see someone purchasing the diode version since they want a stable laser but I don't see why paying $xxx or $x,xxx more is worth it for the same color :beer:

Help me shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Alex

they're just expensive because there's no demand. diodes come in almost all colors just like DPSS, its just a matter of having demand for them. once upon a time red diodes were hundreds of dollars too. single diodes are lower power, and emit less heat than a total DPSS setup typically, but are more stable overall (if they have feedback). though in this case the cost has dropped enough, that typically the DPSS process is still cheaper than the diodes, and does not have wavelength shift from heat. perhaps one day the single direct diodes will be cheaper, and thus take over, just like reds did in place of HeNe lasers. there are diodes doing 488 too, but, again the cost outweighs the benefits most of the time, so usually the DPSS version takes over, or sometimes Argon lasers.

diodes were originally made to be low cost alternatives to gas, for things that just needed coherent light, but not the cost, stability, or bulk, or power requirements of a gas laser. like anything else, you pick the tool for the job. all you're doing is lasing a small synthetic solid, as opposed to gas.

Last edited:
they're just expensive because there's no demand. diodes come in almost all colors just like DPSS, its just a matter of having demand for them. once upon a time red diodes were hundreds of dollars too. single diodes are lower power, and emit less heat than a total DPSS setup typically, but are more stable overall. though in this case the cost has dropped enough, that typically the DPSS process is still cheaper than the diodes, and does not have wavelength shift from heat. perhaps one day the single direct diodes will be cheaper, and thus take over, just like reds did in place of HeNe lasers. there are diodes doing 488 too, but, again the cost outweighs the benefits most of the time, so usually the DPSS version takes over, or sometimes Argon lasers.

diodes were originally made to be low cost alternatives to gas, for things that just needed coherent light, but not the cost, stability, or bulk, or power requirements of a gas laser. like anything else, you pick the tool for the job. all you're doing is lasing a small synthetic solid, as opposed to gas.

I see :thinking:

Still, you can't beat that feeling of getting a *rare* DPSS laser in your hands :)

I see :thinking:

Still, you can't beat that feeling of getting a *rare* DPSS laser in your hands :)

this is true :) and divergence out of an LBO is very good, though I'm spoiled, and have the argon 476nm line, which by far is better than either of these alternatives as far as I'm aware, and has divergence at around .9 mrads or less to boot. :beer:

Last edited:
this is true :) and divergence out of an LBO is very good, though I'm spoiled, and have the argon 476nm line, which by far is better than either of these alternatives as far as I'm aware, and has divergence at around .9 mrads or less to boot. :beer:

Lucky you indeed :drool:

LaserGlow only offers the 473nm in their handheld line so it's the best I can do for now :angel:

Lucky you indeed :drool:

LaserGlow only offers the 473nm in their handheld line so it's the best I can do for now :angel:

I have the regular CNI equivalent (same laser) Its a really nice one, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a very pretty color. it lasts a pretty decent amount of time on one CR2 battery!