Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone interested in 493nm 200mW single mode?

Well. That sucks. I do have access to a professional precision mill. But I didn't realize it was the size of the crystal that determined wavelength, I thought it was the material in the layers that excite and emit wavelengths. As far as welding gold to gold...it would be easy ish because its such low amperage to get an arc to put such small pieces together.

I have some rough ruby. I couldn't seed off that?

Well. That sucks. I do have access to a professional precision mill. But I didn't realize it was the size of the crystal that determined wavelength, I thought it was the material in the layers that excite and emit wavelengths. As far as welding gold to gold...it would be easy ish because its such low amperage to get an arc to put such small pieces together.

I have some rough ruby. I couldn't seed off that?

Actually, I think this guy DID make his own laser diode.

Die4LASER

Scroll down a little...

joeyss

What if you use a BR diode to cut to the facet to the right size?

Also that's an amazing link...I'm at a lose for words.

Last edited:

AUS

I think you would have to do what he did and buy the crystal pre made from the manufacturer. Different coloured lasers use different doped crystals and I suspect some of the manufacturing process needs doing in a vacuum I'm not sure.

You can buy ruby rods and YAG rods, for these you really just need high power Xenon flash tubes. A quick google search shows it is possible to make your own YAG or ruby laser, people have done it. Interestingly 404nm is one of the ruby pump bands, I wonder if you could pump it with multiple high power blu ray laser diodes?

Build your own LASER! | Modern Mechanix

Laser Crystal Ruby

Sam's Laser FAQ - Home-Built Pulsed Solid State (PSS) Laser

Last edited:
Well my gf is really into chemistry and geology. I think she would enjoy growing me something like this that I could turn into something. Plus it would be badass to do a project like that, and show people how to do it so they could synthesize wavelengths they want. Which are considered bad product, or exotic by big manufactures. But diy enthusiast like us would love to have...without having to pay several K for.

benmwv

Actually, I think this guy DID make his own laser diode.

Die4LASER

Scroll down a little...

That guy makes it look easy! Here are some blurry iphone pics of my attempts.

The first one is the only one that actually works and its just a couple mw because of all the resistance in the connections (used carbon based "conductive" glue on it). In that picture its running directly from 2x li-ion :p

Attachments

• LD (1).JPG
    LD (1).JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 198
  • LD (2).JPG
    LD (2).JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 165
  • LD (3).JPG
    LD (3).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 178
  • LD (4).JPG
    LD (4).JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 144

joeyss

What if i cut the facet in half after I put it on with blu-ray will it be a shorter WL red? What if i get a facet cut from a the semi- conductor on a yellow led? Will it lase yellow?
So many questions, so little answers.

Things

You can't just make any material lase any colour by changing it's length, otherwise we'd have a diode for every visible wavelength. It's dependent on the semiconductor material the die is made from.

All those DIY laser diode guides are just soldering a pre-made die to something, if you want to make your own diode, you'd need to make the die yourself too, which is NOT possible with hobbyist equipment, full stop. There's a reason these diodes cost thousands of dollars ...

joeyss

I'm aware of that , but my understanding is yellow and red LEDS use Gallium Arenside and so do all red lasers. Leds work differently in part due to the much larger emitter area with the semiconductor. Now the question is what would happen if you took a tiny chunk of a yellow led and used the that die to make a laser? Yellow leds are just doped with a different material to make yellow. What would you get if it didn't lase?

AUS

What would you get if it didn't lase?

An LED.

No I don't think it's that simple otherwise someone would have created a yellow laser diode by now. Green LED's have been out since the 1970's but they have only JUST made a green laser diode in the last couple of years.

joeyss

Green's are based on an entirely different material. It could just be there really is no interest in yellow. I also recall seeing some company was investigating yellow diodes based on gallium semiconductors for a laser TV.

EDIT:also

. The results show that by use of off-angle substrates a
significant improvement in performance of InGaAlP red-green light emitting diodes
(LEDs) and red-yellow laser diodes (LDs) could be achieved, such as enhancement of
p-type doping and light emission efficiency. The performances of a green LED and a
yellow LD with InAlP cladding layers grown on off-angle substrates was investigated
and demonstrate

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c.../3/Honbun-4558.pdf+&cd=26&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Last edited:

Hiemal

An LED.

No I don't think it's that simple otherwise someone would have created a yellow laser diode by now. Green LED's have been out since the 1970's but they have only JUST made a green laser diode in the last couple of years.

I think you're partially right, but they also must need a purpose for a color too.

Otherwise, they have no reason to spend money researching and developing a certain color...

That guy makes it look easy! Here are some blurry iphone pics of my attempts.

The first one is the only one that actually works and its just a couple mw because of all the resistance in the connections (used carbon based "conductive" glue on it). In that picture its running directly from 2x li-ion :p

Shoulda known you would have actually done this! You take "building a laser" down to its most basic components. I was happy the first time I stuffed a green "module" in a host and called it "building a laser" but you are actually making laser diodes!

You young geniuses of the forum amaze and inspire me!

I think you're partially right, but they also must need a purpose for a color too.

Otherwise, they have no reason to spend money researching and developing a certain color...

I agree. Red was for DVD, they needed higher power for blu ray data density, thus blu ray was born. 445 appears to be a way to make green in projectors using a phosphor wheel and they would rather do that with a green diode so they are working on green diodes for small pico projectors and whatnot.

For whatever reason there doesn't seem to be a commercial need for yellow, which is a shame because that would be cool.

Last edited:
there might be for multiple things in the "upcoming" but not "near" future. Astronomy needs higher efficiency yellows for once; indoor lighting looks more "natural" with the hint of yellow in it, so there may be a use coming up.