Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone else notice that Nichia's 445 spec sheet got a power boost last month?

The guy on the other forum got a quote from Nichia at 300,000 JPY for a single diode.

300000 Japanese yen = 3903.7200 US dollars

:(

The guy on the other forum got a quote from Nichia at 300,000 JPY for a single diode.

300000 Japanese yen = 3903.7200 US dollars

:(

I don't understand the diode makers? Sure selling a gazillion to a projector maker (but really, HOW MANY do they sell) is the way to go, but they could sell at least thousands here. Why the crazy disconnect when they can just be harvested? Can the economies of scale really be so significant as to make it cheaper to r&d a projector, build the entire projector with all of its electronics and optics and certifications, shipping, sales and advertising, etc... and then rip the diodes out for $50 each vs $4,000 each?

I don't get it. You would think that if you called nichia and told them you were a projector repair shop and you needed to service a particular brand of projector that used their diodes and yo would like to buy a few hundred of them, you should be ale to get them for $20 each or less. You KNOW that Cash-ee-oh isn't paying anything like $20 each for them.

Seeing as they're claiming 1.6W optical output with 1.7A current, my guess is that they're essentially the same.

Actually, they're claiming 1.1-1.6W from 1.2A

1.7A being the absolute maximum, their specsheet has If at 1.2A

Don't get your panties all in a bunch over the 9mm case. The generally accepted datasheet for our Nichia diodes states 9mm case too. If we see these new dice, they will most likely still be in 5.6mm cans.

I think RHD's main point was less about OMG 9mm and more about the increased claimed maximum power and efficiency, which may be on par with the latest diodes with physical signs of increased current handling.

Edit: perhaps the discovery of the new 9mm diodes in one of the higher end projectors explains this power boost in the spec sheet.

Last edited: