Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone checked out the OD on BLPS goggles?

Name says it all. The BLPS goggles are designed to protect against ballistics, dust, and lasers. multiple lenses, and 532 nm seems to be one of the wavelengths they are supposed to protect against. also 1064 and down to ruby laser wavelength (493 or so? can't remember exact wavelength for certain) a few things I have found indicate OD 4+ I have found 2 references to them on the forums, but has anyone tested them?

Supposedly 400-532 is protected so they SHOULD be quite good against BR and green both. And with the red blocking in there too, I wonder how effective they would be against 650?

Price is quite good, 15 or so shipped. with the potential of good laser eye protection, but most of the sources online seem to be iffy. Bottom line is, only someone with a LPM and several colors of laser could adequately test them. Has anyone done so?

StridAst

Fieras

I've had a hard time finding any kind of datasheet on these. One thing to keep in mind is that there are three or four different versions of these glasses, and not all of them are designed to provide laser protection. The S-2 (green) protects against two types of lasers, and the S-3 (brown) protects against three. Thats straight from the booklet that came with the pair of S-2 green I have from when I was in the army. It makes no mention of specific wavelenghts or OD ratings for either pair, and I havent been able yet to find any links to a datasheet that arent dead. If you do find some documentation, I'd love to see it. You should be wary of anyone selling these on Ebay or similar sites. You could be getting one of the types that gives no protection at all, and you only have one pair of eyes.

Very true on the be wary of the unknown when it comes to eye protection, however ALL actual BLPS goggles offer laser protection. while there are more then one version, BLPS is an acronym for Ballistics Laser Protection Spectacles. The danger seems to be figuring out how to use them, and figuring out what kind of protection they provide, and then making certain you actually get a pair of BLPS, and not sand wind and dust goggles, or any of the countless other goggles the military has put out over the years. I've found this link talking about them: Group-buy Offer: laser glasses for $13-$20 shipped [Archive] - CPFMarketPlace
So far I am trying to back up what they say. I have also found info suggesting the brown lens might stop 405nm as well. At =>0D4 for 694.3, they would certainly be useful against ruby lasers, (not that many here experiment with them) however depending on how fast the protection drops off, they might offer some protection against 650. (better then nothing, might be barely better then nothing though)

At the very least, stopping both 532 and 1064 would offer protection from green lasers, AND the IR an unfiltered one spews out....... Which could be a good thing when a friend brings over his new 532 laser to show off. After all, how much IR do you want in your eye, and I am not certain how many cheep anti-green goggles can stop both the green and the IR. I also came across a page I have been trying to find again, that indicated the brown lens also stops 405 fairly well. Cheap goggles that offer protection against most of the more common laser colors sound MUCH too good to be true. So I have been wondering how well they work. Thinking of acquiring a pair, and sending them to someone here to test them with a LPM. Any takers?

StridAst

My point is, it's promising.

I just tested the green glasses of these green goggles (link) with an 980nm IR led (I only have the green filter). they have an OD of ~4 there. 808 will probably be lower, the army doesn't use this wavelength, it's 1064nm for YAG based rangefinders. Worst case scenario: it's not any higher on 1064nm.