Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any place newbies can post questions?

I'm new to this hobby and have a bunch of potentially stupid questions I want to ask. I realize this is a forum so I'm not going to continually post questions one after another until somebody gets mad. I've tried using the search bar, but many times I don't even know the term I'm looking for. Is there a dedicated part of this forum I can post stupid questions to?

you could pm me and i can help you get your searches in order!!! your also gonna hear people that you need to introduce yourself and add location

Reactions: GSS

Gazen

I would pm people that have been here for a long time, or if you have any basic questions you can pm me.

Please make a welcome post with a little bit about yourself in the sub-forum “welcome”.

Have fun :beer:

It might help if you start out by googling laser and read that. Then you will have questions about what you read and you can use a term you just learned to google that. Learning is a process. There are no easy ways to knowledge. In order to learn, you will have to put some work into it.

Encap

No there is no "dedicated part of this forum I can post stupid questions" section.
Use google and LPF Custom search for those---if you get stuck or don't understand something ask---but search and do some homework first.

You can search the LPF database using the Custom Search bar at the bottom of the page.

Also--have a look at the "sticky" threads in whatever LPF sub-forum interests you

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
I find going down a "Wiki wormhole" is best for finding out about the unknown, i.e. lasers.

Every now and then, maybe once every 1-2 weeks, I'll sit down at my computer and search a broad topic about lasers and go to the Wikipedia page on it.

From there I will read until I come across a part that I don't understand and search that.

Why I recommend using Wiki is because there are links to the other topics you'll most likely not understand. So all you have to do is just click on said word and up comes the page on that.

Continue this for a few hours and eventually you get about 5-10 pages deep looking at how quantum wells work or what the structure for aluminium gallium indium phosphide (AlGaInP) is.

I find it's a good way to start chipping away at the mountain of knowledge know as lasers :p

You could have clicked the " EDIT " tab ( BOTTOM RIGHT ) and added to your previous post rather than double posting, people get upset about double posting.

---EDIT----
That is you did not need to make post #10, you could have simply added to post #9, top right corner of this box, this is post #11 and if I come back in 15 minutes I would not make a post #12, I would edit and add to my post #11, This post.

---EDIT---
So don't double post.

You see if I had not edited I would have just triple posted, imagine how sloppy that would look :tsk:

Last edited:
I'm new to this hobby and have a bunch of potentially stupid questions I want to ask. I realize this is a forum so I'm not going to continually post questions one after another until somebody gets mad. I've tried using the search bar, but many times I don't even know the term I'm looking for. Is there a dedicated part of this forum I can post stupid questions to?
There are subforums the are specific to various aspects, you can ask there. You can ask in the General subforum. A great resource is Sam's Laser FAQ. Search it on the web. Ask a question.

I don't even know the term I'm looking for. TIs there a dedicated part of this forum I can post stupid questions to?

Welcome to LPF, Lighter! There are many nice people here who are happy to help and listen to your questions. Veteran members voluntarily share their knowledge and experience to beginners after they’ve spent time and effort seriously searching for information stored in our extensive database. Asking well thought out questions is never stupid; expecting to be spoon fed information is. Have fun during your stay here but always remember to be laser safe. Take Care. :)

-cd