Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

any pilots

caleb

anyone here a pilot, either commercial or private.
please explain your hobby or career, aircraft endorsments etc.
im currently a student pilot and will be going solo very soon! sweet!!

I'm not a pilot, but my dad was a pilot and flight instructor at SIU. He flew for a while, but the pilot's wages plummeted when he was in school and after some years of flying he didn't like always being away from his wife and new family (plus the hours were terrible, plus he didn't like the bad thunderstorms, he almost got killed in one...) so he quit flying.

Ace82

I am an RC helicopter pilot... which to my understanding is more difficult then flying a real helicopter, since the smaller size makes it much more unstable, plus being on the outside controls are constantly inverting. I would absolutely love to be a real helicopter pilot, and I'm sure I would catch on real quick because I totally understand how they operate since I also build the RC models. And I’m not talking about the cheapies, I’m talking the real deal. Mine is worth over $3,000! I have a few years experience flying rc helicopters, but classes for certification to fly a real one is very expensive. :(

On the subject of flying RC helis, I love taking it out in high wind! In my neighborhood we have extremely windy seasons, sometimes over 100mph! Yeah, fences, trees, trash cans, etc. blow down. It’s like surfing, just trying to hover and fight the wind is so exciting! Lol!

Good luck on your first solo flight. It can be nerve racking. I didn't do too bad during my first solo flight. I joined the AF not long afterwards though. They only had 4 seaters in the area and they cost more per hour so I didn't continue due to a shortage of money. I've thought about continueing but I might not with the price of gas now.

Chad

Ace82 said:
I am an RC helicopter pilot... which to my understanding is more difficult then flying a real helicopter, since the smaller size makes it much more unstable, plus being on the outside controls are constantly inverting.  I would absolutely love to be a real helicopter pilot, and I'm sure I would catch on real quick because I totally understand how they operate since I also build the RC models.  And I’m not talking about the cheapies, I’m talking the real deal.  Mine is worth over $3,000!  I have a few years experience flying rc helicopters, but classes for certification to fly a real one is very expensive.  :(  

On the subject of flying RC helis, I love taking it out in high wind!  In my neighborhood we have extremely windy seasons, sometimes over 100mph!  Yeah, fences, trees, trash cans, etc. blow down.  It’s like surfing, just trying to hover and fight the wind is so exciting! Lol!

lol... it's a big misconception that you can learn faster because you do a miniature of something. I remember the first time I went up in a light aircraft... I was stoked and WAY overconfident, because I do RC planes and flight sims... yeah, it's harder than you'd think. I screwed up. I still thank God that there was another guy in the plane. :p

Back on topic... No, I'm not a pilot, but I hope to be. I'm starting ground school in a few months, and I'll start logging hours pretty soon after that.

caleb

Ace82 said:
I am an RC helicopter pilot... which to my understanding is more difficult then flying a real helicopter, since the smaller size makes it much more unstable, plus being on the outside controls are constantly inverting.  I would absolutely love to be a real helicopter pilot, and I'm sure I would catch on real quick because I totally understand how they operate since I also build the RC models.  And I’m not talking about the cheapies, I’m talking the real deal.  Mine is worth over $3,000!  I have a few years experience flying rc helicopters, but classes for certification to fly a real one is very expensive.  :(  

On the subject of flying RC helis, I love taking it out in high wind!  In my neighborhood we have extremely windy seasons, sometimes over 100mph!  Yeah, fences, trees, trash cans, etc. blow down.  It’s like surfing, just trying to hover and fight the wind is so exciting! Lol!
im an rc pilot aswel, only i fly nitro 'fixed wing' instead of those crazy rotatiing ones.
but, flying a real aircraft aint easier, although im not that good at flying rc anyway. although, i could not get a hang of my electric planes, but when i got my nitro, it was so much easier. and when you get in the real plane, i guess it feels much easier, until you need to use flap, maintain heading, maintain altitude, use the radio etc.

and yes, the fuel price is realy expensive, im begining to think if i should really be a pilot for career, i could have any injury at 25 or 30 and have to find another career.