Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

any paid tech assistance here?

Is there anyone who would be willing to take some $ from us cheap guys who got DX lasers and who then can install IR filters and minimize divergence and maximize collimation?

collimation should already be maximized or damn close to it. Lowering divergence could then only be acheived by expanding the size of the beam.

Installing an IR filter wouldnt be too hard. Just get one and glue it inside the cap. Why do you want an IR filter though? It wouldn't really solve any problems with the DX lasers. :-/

Amnizu

It might even severely cripple the burning power of your DX laser, as they often rely heavily on IR leakage to actually meet their rated output.

from what I read previously, the IR that leaked out wasnt as nearly as narrow/lowDispersion a beam that the green output was...

Can someone confirm/deny that?

Actually the true lasers do have an ir filter, its not a high quality one but it blocks enough ir to be safe, and ir does expand like a flashlight so after about 3 feet anyway it would be completely safe, you would need to worry more about the green.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Ace82

Well I’ve noticed that DX is very inconsistent with their design as I’ve ordered several over about a years period and the “True” vs. the non “True” have changed. As of recently, the New Wish at 5mW – 50mW have the photo sensor which has the IR filter, but the 100mW + does not.

As for the divergence, I’ve been able to get it in line quite a bit but you must completely disassemble the laser. I believe that they are pretty much thrown together by some overworked and underpaid Chinamen where these lasers are produced in bulk and without much time to get each one perfect. Specifically, I believe they slap some lock-tight on the brass housings of the collimator lens and give it the correct number of turns without taking the time to perfect each one to get the best divergence. I actually had to replace the optics of my DX 150 because the lens cracked! I bought some 5mW modules and retrofitted the collimator lens onto the DX150, so I took the time to adjust the concave and convex lenses for the best divergence I could achieve. I got the divergence as good as I believe a DX laser could be, but the dot was about 1/8” diameter right out of the barrel creating a much larger but even beam compared to the 1/64” @ 2ft. and 1” @ 15ft. that is was when I first got it. The only draw back is that the burning capability decreased dramatically to the point where it hardly popped balloons and you could no longer feel the “sting” on your flesh. I believe DX design their divergence this way to achieve maximum burning capabilities at point blank range, but it wouldn’t even pop a black balloon at 4ft! Plus, the IR can be utilized at point blank range for burning but spreads so it is useless if the laser collimated optimally.

You might want to find out as much info as possible and take on the task personally. I spent many hours fooling around with DX lasers, to the point where it’s just not worth it to me anymore. But I have learned allot! Take it as a learning experience, if your not worried about destroying your laser that is! :)

This thread might help, I don’t know. Good luck. ;)

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202710136

IgorT

opticalc said:
from what I read previously, the IR that leaked out wasnt as nearly as narrow/lowDispersion a beam that the green output was...

Can someone confirm/deny that?

Yes, i can confirm this..

The IR isn't collimated, when it enters the crystal. After the crystals, there is an expander lense, and then a collimator lense.. The expander lense blocks some IR and expands the rest. The collimator collimates some IR, but mostly the green, as it is much narrower.

If i use my camera to look at the output of the collimator lense, i see a green beam and a lot of white around (IR). But when the head is also on, the simple fact, that it has a narrow apperture blocks most of the IR.

At the head, i only see green and no IR.. There is still some left, but most is gone and the green completelly overpowers it.

So these lasers don't have IR filters, but very little comes out of them, because of the way, they are built.

It's a good solution, IMHO..

So in this case, the IR really does spread like from a flashlight... And they can't rely on IR for burning power, since hardly any is collimated.

The DX200 only put out 20-30mW of IR because of this.. And i'm pretty sure the "True" ones also don't have filters.. People just think they do, because of very little measured IR.

If the collimator was at the top of the aperture, this would be a different story tho.. The IR diode in my DX200 smoked a floppy without even being collimated, when i removed everything else.

IgorT

Ace82 said:
Well I’ve noticed that DX is very inconsistent with their design as I’ve ordered several over about a years period and the “True” vs. the non “True” have changed.  As of recently, the New Wish at 5mW – 50mW have the photo sensor which has the IR filter, but the 100mW + does not.

Do you perhaps have a picture, of how it's assembled, or the part with the filter?

How is the filter combined with the photo diode? Those are the old models, right? The new ones don't use the separate sensor anymore.. Actually, they don't even use the one inside the diode, even tho the circuit has more than enough components for this, only that they are not even used..

Makes me wonder, if they copied the PCB from another manufacturer and missed a hidden connection or two..