Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any info about this diode?

edy

Hi, this is the diode from my old cd-rw burner. Does anyone know something about it? Where are the positive and negative pin? I'd guess the positive is the pin connected to the casing, but I'm not sure.

Hiemal

That's like trying to do brain surgery in the dark...

With no hands, and a nasty twitch.

We need to know more information about it. Also, you do realize CD drives are infrared correct? You can't see it (well, not very well anyway) and that makes it 100 times more dangerous than visible light lasers. What appears to be a dim red light is actually a very powerful IR beam. It's very easy to make a mistake with something that's invisible.

Those are pointless to do anything with. just spend $5 and get a LOC that will be both stronger, and easier to actually use for anything.

edy

Hmm, not sure what't going on, it's maybe damaged... I measured it with my diy setup :) and here's what I got:

(down mA, left output light power [no units])

however the diode is incredibly dim and produces only two distinct dots as seen on the picture (before you say anything, the camera sees IR normally!!):

at 200mA I was hoping for more fun ;-) okay, it's probably going to trash...

Like I said, these aren't really worth doing more than just playing with. And I believe the 660nm pins will be ones in the middle on the very ends. This module will also have the 780nm die in it as well. Also if you still have the square lens attached to the front, this is actually some type of holographic lens/filter, you will get multiple outputs if left in place.