Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any company sell UV lasers?

diachi

i have a good friend looking for a UV laser for etching PCBs. this is going to break his little heart.

Why? You don't need UV for etching PCBs. 405 will work just fine for exposing photoresist. Other option is to use a bunch of power, a paint layer on the board and just burn off the paint layer to form your mask.

or his friend mean 405nm ? I saw mostly on ebay advertised as "UV Purple laser".

I forget which type of pcb he was looking at but it was a specific material most efficiently dealt with by use of UV.

405nm is very close to UV though - Most PCB photoresists will be very well exposed by 405nm. I do wonder though if it's going to be enough to simply target the laser in that case without masking off the rest of the board - any splash, beam artifacts or reflections and the rest of the photoresist may get partially exposed.

diachi

405nm is very close to UV though - Most PCB photoresists will be very well exposed by 405nm. I do wonder though if it's going to be enough to simply target the laser in that case without masking off the rest of the board - any splash, beam artifacts or reflections and the rest of the photoresist may get partially exposed.

It works just fine that way, without any sort of masking.

See: https://hackaday.com/2017/06/15/laser-pcbs-with-ldgraphy/

I suppose it's a balance of finding a photoresist that's insensitive enough that only a targeted focused beam will expose it fully. Interesting - thanks for the article link Diachi