Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another "blue" frequency thread....

Okay, I am starting to grasp it all. Now,
is 150mw the highest power for a 445nm single mode diode?

What is the difference between a M140 beam and a 9mm? Why would you recommend to skip the M140? Im guessing out of the different diodes the M140 looks most like a flat bar? Thanks again, these things are expensive and if I can learn from you guys without needing to buy every different kind of diode, it would sure help my wallet!

thanks
dave

I have a PLTB450 and a M140 running at ~1.4 watts in two side by side projectors. The PLTB450 is ever so slightly 'bluer' than the M140, but you have to strain to see the difference.

The PLTB450 has a bit tighter beam than the M140, and the beam behaves better with cheaper optics. For visibility I'd pick it over the 'fatter' M140.

A side note is the burning ability of the PLTB450 was rather frightening and I still have scorch walls on my doors and walls. The PLTB450 burnt through a dark jacket draped over a chair in less than a minute because I wasn't paying attention to where the beam was terminating and started smoldering wood on the far wall while I was adjusting optics on my work bench. Only the smell alerted me to what was going on. In a portable pointer these things are flat out dangerous, and I can't stress enough that absolute maturity and common sense is required for their operation.

Last edited:
LOL cool story bro! You must be doing something right when you almost burn your house down with a laser.

Okay, I am starting to grasp it all. Now,
is 150mw the highest power for a 445nm single mode diode?

Yes, of the commonly available ones.

What is the difference between a M140 beam and a 9mm? Why would you recommend to skip the M140?

The M140 is 9mm.

Im guessing out of the different diodes the M140 looks most like a flat bar?

Correct. This video shows it very well

As you can see even the burn marks are flat.

Wow, thanks for that upload. That is alot easier to understand when I see it like that.

Ok, last question.....Now, since the Pl450 is visibly nicer, how much "brighter" or "visible" would the beam be on a 1.4W PL450 vs. a 3 W 9mm? I know this sounds silly, but I am curious as I haven't seen to many comparisons with beam shots between something like this.

Thanks again for the help. I can't stop thinking about lasers all day long now.....

dave

I'm a big fan of the PL450B diode from Osram. It's rated at 450nm but tends to go a bit higher in wavelength when you push it hard like most people here do. I can see somebody already linked to my build using that diode.

Yeah a 1W 445nm will be quite a bit brighter than 150mW of ~455nm from the PL450B. I'd still chose the PL450B over the 1W+ 445nm any day though. They are bluer, have a nice round beam, and aren't in the ultra dangerous class IV range. You can still burn with them nicely and you get a very nice beam from them.

As for a hint of purple, that is subjective. 460nm is what I'd call "true blue", so 455nm is pretty damn close to that. Much more than 445nm at least.