Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another amazon pointer.

I decided to order another green from amazon this week for a few reasons: They are inexpensive enough. I wanted to see if they were consistent and that I wasn't just "lucky". And I think I might want to take one apart after a while.

Regardless, the new one I received today seems to be more powerful than my first one. This means that my other one is over spec or that this one is over spec... I don't have a meter so I will never really know. For all I know this laser may be 35mW and the other 30mW.
Is there anyone in Texas that has a meter and might be able to measure these 'lil guys. I'd really like to know the stats on these because I know that any noobie would be pleased with these lasers (if they aren't obsessed with popping balloons of course) and if they do happen to be consistently spec'd I think they would be really good to recommend to newer members.
They ship no more than 25$ and they are at your house in days not weeks.

It's just I see some people that have jumped into all this and right away and want to buy/build high powered 200mW. I realize in the end it's there choice and all but IMO I don't really think that it's very practical when you can get these decent ones for an incredibly more inexpensive price and a lot faster than from oversea shipping.

I don't know, I just feel like these are really great lasers for those that are just getting into the hobby and to save the newcomer a couple bucks these lasers should be recommended as a first green.
I'd really appreciate it though if someone could contact me if they have a meter and could find out what these are actually running at.

Last edited:

I like your logic, too many people jumping right in getting 200mw pointers from the start, I'd like to see more people that have never had a laser get the more conservative ones first.

But that's just me.

My first greenie was a cheapo pointer, I had a blast with it, then I bought a couple 50mw units that put out much closer to 100mw, working my way up the scale.

I later gave that green pen to a neighbor, he has been excited over it for months now.

But if you're interesting in lasers, why not go with something that would please you more?

I mean, you can buy a 200mW red dilda for around $45. That isn't really that expensive. Greenies you can get 200mWs for closer to $150(o-like, rayfoss). Then there's still 100-150mW greenies and such. My point is, it's expensive to work your way up, and then you may be left with weaker lasers you don't necessarily have a need for.

I think it depends on the individual more than anything. I'm not sure you can really make a general recommendation when it comes to something as subjective as this.

But yeah, I started with a "50mW" greenie off of amazon. I'm pretty sure it's not up to spec, but I'd be interested to get it tested xD I live in Texas too...

Here is where my head is at on this subject, would you recommend an Italian sports car for a new driver with a learners permit??

Would you recommend a racing motorcycle for the new guy who never rode before?

We all have to learn to walk before we learn to run, I would rather see inexperienced people get a feel for lasers with a much safer low power unit, learn to respect that, make their first mistakes with that, than wind up blind, burned or responsible for injuring others by purchasing a 200mw "burning" laser as a first ever laser.

That's all I'm saying here, My first ever laser put out a whopping 1mw, I was more than happy learning about optics, electronics, safety and making home brew light shows with that, it was almost 30 years before I bought a laser that can burn holes in plastic.

I agree that it would be silly to recommend a race car or race bike to some one who has never rode one, however that metaphor only seems vaguely applicable to this scenario.

While driving an italian sports car takes a decent amount of skill, using a laser is as simply as pushing a button. Also, the price difference between an entry level car and an italian sports car can be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Jumping from a 50mW to a 200mW red laser can cost as little as $20-30. And then there's the degree of risk. Yes, lasers can be quite dangerous but statistically speaking they are far less so than motor vehicles and they can not cause as much damage in any single accident.

Now of course, one would hope that a person who buys a laser does research first. One would hope that they know about safety and aren't immature. Personally, I do research before I do just about anything. Knowledge is power, as they say. I'm not saying this works for everyone, just that it so heavily depends on the individual, it's hard to make a general statement for something like this. In my opinion.

I'm reluctant to announce this but as soon as I got the first laser I let it shine into the palm of my hand, which of course was only about 2 feet from my face. It was ridiculously bright. Had I been as thoughtless as that with an even higher powered laser, I'd probably still be seeing that weird purple dot on everything...

Ahah, I'm safe with them I really am. Please don't hound me for my lack of laser safety.
It really was more of an instinctual thing and there wasn't really any thought of risk being involved with merely pointing it at my palm. It was definitely a little something I learned from though. It scares me incredibly to think of people doing that with higher powered lasers. Very good analogy with the vehicles Photonaholic, I agree.
I just don't think you should put that sort of power into someones hands who may not know what to really expect.

Haha, nice xD Well, as long as you learned something about saftey and are alright, I guess all is well that ends well :D

See what already puts you one step above the average "moron with a laser" is you are here, so your one step ahead.

I have read posts in my time on this forum that read like horror stories out of the twilight zone.

Once a guy posted that he allowed 2 children to "play star wars" with higher power pointers, the kids were standing face to face pretending to be Vader and Luke... How retarded is that??

Per your own words, "using a laser is as simply as pushing a button." there you have it, simple as that any freaking bozo with zero IQ can operate a laser, so what do these morons do with them??

point them at helicopters, point them at oncoming motorists, let their brother point them at their moms face, (current thread) harass athletes at games, etc...

There is no easy solution to the epidemic, you are entitled to your way of thinking, just the same as I am entitled to mine.

The majority of these "first time buyers" are in their teens, and several have even posted on this very forum about operating lasers under the influence of mind altering substances.

It's just too bad that the vendors selling these lasers don't have an IQ test as part of the sales criteria.

My first gun was a daisy BB gun, not an AK47, I can find 100 analogies if you'd like.

Well, I'd only really like a suitable analogy :D Maybe one that doesn't contain items that are the top causes of death in the world. Still, you make a valid point.

And again, that's why I'm trying to emphasize that it's based on the individual more than anything. Not that everyone should go buy a high power laser.

Of course, there's also survival of the fittest. YAY DARWIN!

The one way I can always tell the maturity level of a perspective new laser owner.

one will be interested in physics, electronics and optics.

The other, "Hi I want to burn shit, what color will work best for that"

My answer is always universal to that one... "all of them"

bic-lighters.jpg

I found the double post glitch!

I have 2 browsers open at once, it only happens when both browsers are open.

Last edited:
I found the double post glitch!

I have 2 browsers open at once, it only happens when both browsers are open.

Triple post too ;) Heh.

Also, then we're getting into other hobbies. Using lighters or sparks and propellants isn't quite as awesome as lighting stuff on fire from a distance using highly energetic light waves/particles. I think we can all agree on that :) There's something so satisfying in it...

Sorry photon, I've just been messing with you in this thread xD I mean no disrespect or anything, just so you know.