Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another 2W build thread

I tried building a 1W 445 laser a few years ago, but I didn't really have the tools or knowledge to do a good job on it. However, after a year of college I am a whole new person :) (a joke).

Anyway, I'm working on a 2W build out of an old, very expensive, flashlight. I'm using a FourSevens MMU host (which I paid like $120 for a year ago, but's now like $70 used). The only reason I'm using such an expensive light is because it was actually a pretty shitty flashlight, and FourSevens wouldn't do anything to help make it better. Anyway, it was a pretty bad host to chose since it can't be taken apart so I'm making the best of it.

The host was a bad choice because it can't be opened anywhere but the bezel and the battery, and in between the two there was a piece of aluminum and TWO circuit boards (three counting the board the emitter was mounted on). I had to cut out the aluminum divider and smash out the top of the two circuit boards so I can get to the positive battery contact (which I still have to drill to get to).

However, there are some reason why this host is great (once you look past the things I just listed) including the size: it's large enough to heatsink effectively - yet compact enough to carry easily and look nice. The switch is also phemonial. It's a tactical switch that's machined out of a piece of aluminum. It can probably switch upwards of 20 or 30amps before it would start to have some trouble, so it will be rock solid for my "small" laser.

I had Eudaimonium machine me a custom heatsink, but I accidentally copied down a measurement wrong so the shaft of the heatsink was too long. Very luckily I have a friend here in the USA who works at a shop and he is going to "fix" the heatsink for me.

But that's enough talking... here's the photos to date.

Prepping the host.
jBLSuXfh.jpg

3W8gvpvh.jpg

UYGHoBgh.jpg

QkDBp0qh.jpg

zCgBPYFh.jpg

g3G2x0qh.jpg

And here's the heatsink that Eudaimonium fabbed.
RQXdjXEh.jpg

What it's going to turn into (pun intended).
axY9D7th.png

Last edited:

Cool! Looks like a nice heavy heatsink. What kind of driver are you going to use? Cheers.

And now it's finished. Here's the final photos, including a beam shot.

ZSpHazOh.jpg

CVFYsrEh.jpg

5JOsvBgh.jpg

Sb7ecvph.jpg

Cool! Looks like a nice heavy heatsink. What kind of driver are you going to use? Cheers.

It's pretty beefy, that's for sure! I'm using a 1.8amp x-drive by lazerzeer (i's that how you spell it?).

Also, I need some help. The beam is coming out of the lens at an angle... I'm using a G-2 lens. How can I straighten it out?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice job! The beam looks great. +rep for the build. How long is the average duty cycle before cool down?

EDIT: I just noticed your Springfield XDm hardcase. What caliber?

Last edited:
Also, I need some help. The beam is coming out of the lens at an angle... I'm using a G-2 lens. How can I straighten it out?

Thanks!

I'm actually having the same kind of problem. It seems that my lens has some wobble and is sensitive to movement, especially when adjusted out further. Anyone have any suggestions?

Nice job! The beam looks great. +rep for the build. How long is the average duty cycle before cool down?

EDIT: I just noticed your Springfield XDm hardcase. What caliber?

Thanks for the rep! I'm not trying to sound like a douche, but the beam does look really good. I'm super happy with it (other than the angle part).

Lol, it's a 40cal. I just used the case since it was the only black thing to set the heatsink on... Didn't think anyone would recognize it. The gun is great, but 40cal is pretty big for practical use IMO. It's my dad's gun, but I would buy the 9mm if I was going to get it (which I might :) ).

Hey man, if the beam looks good... it looks good. You can take pride in it. Because it does look good!!! How's the divergence on it? Mine starts to spread pretty good after only 20 feet or so. I'm trying to tighten the beam up a bit. Does your's stay pretty tight?

Oh I recognized the case!!! It's funny because I used to have a .40 cal XDm but I now have a Glock 19 Gen 4 9mm.
I think the 9mm is a superb round.

I'm actually having the same kind of problem. It seems that my lens has some wobble and is sensitive to movement, especially when adjusted out further. Anyone have any suggestions?

I actually think the problem you are having (as described) might be a bit different then the problem I'm having.

If you put a small spring between the diode and the lens housing it will prevent wobbling of then lens shaft.