Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Analog Modulation Linear Driver

I want to synchronize an analog audio signal with a laser and this where I came to the problem that I would know how to synchronize it via PWM by amplifying the signal and then use a simple comparator and oscillator to generate my PWM signal which I would use to modulate some standard linear driver setup.

Now I wondered how you would make an analog modulation input circuit for a simple linear IC like a LM317?

First I would use an OP amp to amplify my standard audio signal from lets say an mp3 player a poti to set the voltage gain in order to bring the signal in the right range and a zener to get a nice 0-5V analog signal.
After that I'm unsure how to move on.

I never did something like that so I'm fancy to hear how you would build it.:yh:

ARG

I tried to build one. It didn't work :p Curious what other people have to say.

Subbing.

Last edited:
I've built two. They've not fancy, but the waveforms look adequate and they've been driving a blue and a red in my projector for a few months now without popping anything. They're roughly based on this design (from benm's page):

opamp_source_2.png

I used different resistor values, reference voltages, divider structure, and part numbers, and also added a current bias feature, but that's the general idea.