Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aluminum heatsinks are better than copper heatsinks, when cheaper

Cel

Yeah, but sometimes the best stuff is not the optimal choice. So for now stick with copper or aluminium. Unless for experimenting.
Hey, at least they are easy to machine and relatively inexpensive.

Good enough is fine, no need for exotic stuff. And we also have TECs and fans.

Considering graphene is a single sheet of carbon atoms, I'd say it is not really a feasible option.

I just made a clumsy joke :thinking:

I know that Graphene is not a option. Copper is good choice but it's a bit heavy in bigger heatsink designs..

Last edited:

Benm

In theory diamond would also be a very good option if cost was no concern, though getting it in the right shape is difficult. It is also an electrical isolator, materials like beryllium oxide are normally used when that is required.

As for the more realistic options of copper and aluminium: when making heatsinks the rule of thumb in electronical engineering is that aluminium is better per kilogram and copper is better per cubic metre.

If you must have a heatsink below a given volume copper outperforms aluminium slightly, if you need it below a given weight aluminium far outperforms copper.

When considering cost (W/K per dollar) aluminium wins by a large margin, but if the area to cool is very small (like a gpu die) it makes sense to use a slab of copper or even a heatpipe fitted to a big aluminium heatsink.

Keep in mind that a change in temperature of 1.4 C is not equal to a change of 1.4 F. It is actually 2.52 F. This is related to the quote in post # 3 of this thread.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that a change in temperature of 1.4 C is not equal to a change of 1.4 F. It is actually 2.52 F. This is related to the quote in post # 3 of this thread.

I was thinking that wasn't right also:thinking:

The power involved here is so low, it really doesn't matter.

It's like saying "what's better wire size for 1 amp of current, 9awg, or 6 awg?" Yes, someone that just read the wikipedia page might think themselves an expert for knowing "6awg has twice the conductivity as 9awg," but either are more than enough for 1 amp.

Copper might be necessary to remove the 300W of heat generated by a GPU die, but for a small hunk with no fins and a 10W load, it's just not going to make much of a difference what material you choose. Don't just assume the conductivity of the material is the only factor, or even the biggest factor. That's categorically stupid.

GSS

Quick quesion:
Is the point of the extended taper to not only give it more mass, but also to transfer heat to the air faster? (like the point of fins)
Maby a bit of both, but probably more for looks and I think Survival Lasers also offers that cone shaped focus knob that looks good with that tapered sink.