Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Alpha 125 3xNiMH

Hi I was wondering if maybe it would be possible to run my alpha 125 on 3 NiMH batteries. I want to know this because with just 2 Nimh batteries the voltage is about 2.8 and quickly levels off to 2.4 so another battery would make a maximum voltage of 4.2v but that would quickly level off to 3.6 volts. In order to do this I was going to make a spacer tube that is the same type of aluminum and thinness and uses the same threads. It would thread on to the laser and into the cap all it would do is extends the cap so I can fit another NiMH batteries in their to get the maximum power out of this laser. This is because with its current set up 2 nimh batteries can light about 3 matches then will do nothing but smoke them where as 2 energizers lithium’s that put out about 3.4v light as many matches as I want until the voltage gets around 2.8v

So would it be safe if I added another NiMH battery? I know I would have to reduce the duty cycle to about 50sec on / 20 seconds off or would I need even more then that?

Does any body thing that this idea will work? I have just e maild nova with the idea so i will see what they say and if they say yes i need to finde a machine shop then : )

Thanks for your help
Michael