Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(Almost GB) Feeler - Experimenters Laser Diode PSU

I had this idea after reading xarylx's post about Die4Laser's driver.
Would anyone be interested in a complete PSU for diodes, just add 5 to 12V DC @ 2A max, in a housing, with current and voltage out meters, switches for range (could add a switch to put in a dummy load for current adjusting) and surface mounted pot for setting it?

Something like, 120 x 170 x 60 (millimetres) black housing with power in, 2 LCD meters (V and I), 4 switches, and a pot, with screw down output?
This would definitely not be something that could fit in a portable laser, but could be a good PSU for experimenting...
(does the quote)
Ok, liiitle bit more than i expected, but hey...
Would be looking at $130 USD, $140 AUD, or 90 euro, or 63 GBP, barring any major fluctuations in the currency market. Worldwide postage included!
Keep in mind that this (would be) quality built, (would have) voltage and current meters, etc. I'm targeting this towards semi pro laserists, for use with testing and experimenting etc, rather than just regular people looking for a diode PSU... and that my profit margins are very low on this. In the order of single digit %ages, i'm doing the best i can to help u guys.

And im thinking, screw down terminals for the laser output, but my local place has a neat rig which has the PCB mount and the actual screw down part separately (plug into each other), so you can get several plugs for diff diodes or whatever. in fact i will throw in 2 extras for free. :p
And I could include a more basic power controller for TECs or something for a few $$ extra...

I will try to maybe do a CAD for this. In the meantime, whatcha think? I know its a bit steep but hey whatcha gonna do, lasers arent cheap!

One final thing, due to bulk discounts, the price could come down to $117 USD with 5, or $109 USD with 10.

What y'all thinks? I dont mind being told that this i way too expensive or whatever, just a random idea i had :p

P.s. just a thought, if someone would be nice and invest $130 USD or something, i could get onto building one to take pix or whatever... you would get it after ive built it and made it work so its kinda just a longterm purchase.

drlava

Re: (Almost GB) Feeler - Experimenters Laser Diode

seeing as no one has responded yet, have you considered that general lab supplies could be fit to this job, and other jobs, and can be found for less?
Look up mastech for cheap new ones, or the little HP power supplies and many are under $100
http://www.radios4you.com/mastech-hy1803d.html

Re: (Almost GB) Feeler - Experimenters Laser Diode

:/ well ppls, frankly i had no idea there were bench PSUs so cheap. i guess the advantage of this one would be just that it is I regulated instead of V regulated and I limited, but thats not much different. around here, i have never seen a bench PSU under $250. i am really not trying to rip anyone off, and i would be happy for this thread to be closed. :-/