Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Alkaline Batterry Charger?!?

travislikescoolstuff said:
yes but the point is that i bet many people didn't know about it

im 1 of em... wouldnt recharging alkalines make em get really hot er somethin?

Jamilm9, he's just trying to help us out here. No need to downplay it. I have never heard of anything like this, and I think it's really cool.

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
Jamilm9, he's just trying to help us out here.  No need to downplay it.  I have never heard of anything like this, and I think it's really cool.  

-Mark
i meant this

You can also recharge alkalines in a standard nicad charger, it's just best if you keep it within your sight... I've heard this can cause the batteries to leak, though it's never happened in my experience, plus alkaline batteries leaking isn't a huge problem, it's not corrosive, not flammable, it just makes a bit of a mess you can clean up with vinegar. I've heard this is unsafe, though I've never had a problem and I've done it quite a few times...

They only charge a couple times though, after the third charge or so they'll be reduced in capacity, and after maybe 10 charges they'll no longer accept a charge at all.

If you're uncomfortable using a nicad charger, they make "special alkalines" with "special chargers" under a brand called Pure Energy... They can be found at most stores around here and the chargers are only like $15... The batteries are regular alkaline batteries and the charger is a regular alkaline charger (ie: the same as a nicad charger, only with lower amperage and a more robust full-charge-detection circuit)... OR, if you're really feeling adventurous, you can hook up something like a rckstr driver set to something low like 50mA and use that to charge your batteries... just remember to unplug them when you think they're full or they start to get warm. :D

pseudolobster said:
You can also recharge alkalines in a standard nicad charger, it's just best if you keep it within your sight... I've heard this can cause the batteries to leak, though it's never happened in my experience, plus alkaline batteries leaking isn't a huge problem, it's not corrosive, not flammable, it just makes a bit of a mess you can clean up with vinegar. I've heard this is unsafe, though I've never had a problem and I've done it quite a few times...

They only charge a couple times though, after the third charge or so they'll be reduced in capacity, and after maybe 10 charges they'll no longer accept a charge at all.

If you're uncomfortable using a nicad charger, they make "special alkalines" with "special chargers" under a brand called Pure Energy... They can be found at most stores around here and the chargers are only like $15... The batteries are regular alkaline batteries and the charger is a regular alkaline charger (ie: the same as a nicad charger, only with lower amperage and a more robust full-charge-detection circuit)... OR, if you're really feeling adventurous, you can hook up something like a rckstr driver set to something low like 50mA and use that to charge your batteries... just remember to unplug them when you think they're full or they start to get
warm. :D

My dad saw that and he used his "normal" charger... They exploded. Might work better with the "special" chargers. ::)

--hydro15

hydrogenman15 said:
[quote author=pseudolobster link=1228182538/0#9 date=1228194654]You can also recharge alkalines in a standard nicad charger, it's just best if you keep it within your sight... I've heard this can cause the batteries to leak, though it's never happened in my experience, plus alkaline batteries leaking isn't a huge problem, it's not corrosive, not flammable, it just makes a bit of a mess you can clean up with vinegar. I've heard this is unsafe, though I've never had a problem and I've done it quite a few times...

If you're uncomfortable using a nicad charger, they make "special alkalines" with "special chargers" under a brand called Pure Energy... They can be found at most stores around here and the chargers are only like $15... The batteries are regular alkaline batteries and the charger is a regular alkaline charger (ie: the same as a nicad charger, only with lower amperage and a more robust full-charge-detection circuit)... OR, if you're really feeling adventurous, you can hook up something like a rckstr driver set to something low like 50mA and use that to charge your batteries... just remember to unplug them when you think they're full or they start to get
warm.  :D

My dad saw that and he used his "normal" charger... They exploded. Might work better with the "special" chargers. ::)

--hydro15[/quote]

hahahahaha too funny, lol, i hope your dad and property is all right!