Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Alittle help. Where to buy and how much power?

norbyx

Again, I was just speaking of brightness. Obviously he will need a labby for constant duty cycle.

Beam: (532nm 125mw) vs. (445nm 1791.47mw)
This gives a rough idea of equivalent beam brightness, it is not perfect though, I have also seen it with my own eyes and can say that 100mW of 532 is easily equal to 1500mW 445. Both of which I have viewed from more than a mile away.

I just tested the web page you sent... so in order to have an equivalent blue lasaer of my WL, that has a measured peak of 960mw... I would have to get a 13.7W blue?
I would have to see that to believe it. It might be true, but to my brain it just makes on sense...

Last edited:

That beam comparison site is probably not the best tool to evaluate beam/spot brightness under normal beam-viewing conditions, i.e. nighttime.

The data used in that brightness comparison site uses is based on the CIE photopic (daytime) eye response, not scotopic (nighttime). For scotopic vision, 445nm will actually be around half as bright as the 532nm laser. However, most night viewing will be somewhere in the mesopic region -- between photopic and scotopic -- which hasn't been studied in extreme detail but has aspects from both studied regions. So one could expect the 445nm blue would be perceived as brighter than would be suggested by that comparison site, probably be about 1/3rd as bright as the green under such viewing conditions.

An 1800mW blue would be about as bright as a 600mW green. Depending on the dust conditions, the blue will be very visible at night even at very long distances. I've literally seen parallel blue lasers stretching across the entire horizon so that it looked like the beams bowed at the middle due to distance.

Last edited:
Hmm I must have broken eyes or a different sky. Or maybe my 100mw 532 is 500mw overspec and my lpm cant pick it up.

But I gotta say, my 100mw 532 looks about equal in brightness to my 1500mW 445, when it comes to beam in the sky at night.

Last edited:

norbyx

Thanks BB, that was a great explanation. I thought it would be impossible that the chart was right. It just made no sense. Now with your exhaustive explanation, it makes much more sense.

I have a green that outputs 200mw, and I can tell you that the 1W blue looks brighter to my eyes. So you are completely correct that at 1/3 of the power it might look more or less the same.

I am fully aware that the chart is not 100% accurate, like i said in my post that linked it "This gives a rough idea of equivalent beam brightness, it is not perfect though"

All I'm trying to prove, is you can see 100mw of green from at least a mile out.

Hey!

Well.. There is a club in the town where im going to set the laser up, and they use a skybeam, so im not looking for that. I need somthing different, a new eye catcher if you know what i mean.

Iv'e read that 532nm should be the most visible laser in the spectre. Thats why i thought it would be ideal.

The laser is going to be set up in mid town, so as long as you can see it from 1,5 km away im happy :)

Is there anybody how can find a cheaper laser than this? Compared to price and power ?

And thanks for all the replays :))