Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aliexpress Rediculous Advertising

Jut out of curiosity, I was looking around the internet for different lasers for sale, and was looking through aliexpress at all these 532nm being advertised as 20000mW and 30000mW and other absolutely rediculous ratings for 28-40$. How is it that they are able to so blatantly lie about the lasers without any reprecussions?

Last edited:

Sta

Aliexpress is the wild west of product advertising. I saw one the other day that was recommending people shine them at soccer players.

Thats a great idea! Would definitely recommend if you are looking for legal trouble. But really, Ive been looking around for different sites that will ship 1W+ green lasers to the US as I have a 520nm one that I would like to sell privately and im not really sure how much I can get for it.

Also how do you like your s4x nubm07e build? I built one early this year and particularly enjoy it :)

Sta

Also how do you like your s4x nubm07e build? I built one early this year and particularly enjoy it :)

Mine was damaged by an unknown accident and puts out only 2.5W now, but it's still a fairly good unit. I'll have to get a new 07E sometime.

They do it to fool people that dont know better, just like all chinese ebay sellers with their 1000lumen flashlights when its more like 300lumen at most.. same with lasers they just do it for business lol..

It's a Chinese marketing ploy. They sometimes quote the
power of the Pump Diode which is much higher than the
actual 532nm output.

Jerry

Benm

Yeah, whatever they can think of, they could also just state power consumption.

The funny thing is we are used to the latter being done for things like LED lightbulbs and even flashlights: A 5 watt led lightbulb is supposed to consume 5 watts of power. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but what i'd be more interested in is the amount of light coming out of it.

Realistically we should be getting '1000 lumen' lightbulbs, and the lower the power consumption they have the better.

In the EU this actually has to be on retail packaging, both lumens, color temperature, electrical power, and an efficiency rating that is somewhere between A+++ (best led), A (first gen led, very good CFL), and F/G (tungsten, carbon filament etc).

For sure' you gotta love or hate aliexpress but it is certainly the wild-west when it comes to diffuse specification taken out of the blue air. - and also not too solid when it comes to buyer-rights where its an timefraction of a few weeks you actually can make the dispute.

Certainly are many scammers there, and also many sellers that fake aliE-system by an fake trackingnumber after purchase, and when nothing arrives, they seller useally says, wait a couple of weeks it can take 60days to arrive - and still when nothing arrives, its with an "arhh sorry I will send another" and before you know it your are out of the brief moment where you can actually get your money back thrue aliE-aut-dispute-system.(some sellers sadly do speculate in this)
so its impoten that you just dispute for your money when it hasnt arrived, and doesnt take these seller-responses for value.. same goes for Ebay but there you do got a good amount of timehandlig thrue the long 6'month PP-assurance.

// 80.000mv that can shoot birds down 58US. :shhh: (AliE-pic attached)

but there is also many good sellers on AliE, I often buy from AliE.. and when it comes to lasers the store called "LMLasers", seems to be one of the better with good prices and specs not to fare from actual real life.

Attachments

• shoot bird with lasers, pfft fools.PNG
    shoot bird with lasers, pfft fools.PNG
    230.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
When new to laser pointers about five years ago I ordered a 1 watt 532nm pointer for 400 dollars... Sure wasn't 1 watt, more like 150-200mw without an IR filter. Later after the disappointment over that purchase, I saw advertisements for 10,000mw (10 watt) 532nm pointers on Aliexpress and after learning that was BS, contacted the seller and complained they were misrepresenting the power output, their response was "it is very powerful regardless" which I guess means it doesn't matter to them what they say it is.

Edit: I just looked at their advertisement! I guess this is a suggested use, a good bird is a dead bird? Any pointer I know of won't kill a bird anyway, blind them yes, warm them up before they fly away, maybe... so their whole advertisement is both unethical and dishonest too.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-26%20at%202.32.38%20PM.png

Last edited:

Benm

I'm not sure what they are getting at with the bird thing, but it is possible to scare off birds or even steer flocks of birds by shining lasers at them. It will not set them on fire or otherwise kill them, though i guess they could be blinded in some cases.

Lasers are actually used to startle birds (like geese, the sort that can wreck big jet engines when pulled through) at the airport here, getting them away from the runways and such.

I'd presume there are similar applications in farming to get birds out of fruit plantations before they eat the crop.

The ad looks like they are pointing it at a sparrow though. Then again it also says 80 watts, so perhaps they're trying to sell the concept that this device will put KFC out of business by magically making 'chicken' nuggets fall from the skies ;)

When I first looked at that picture I didn't noticed the dead bird in the lower right hand side, that is why I thought the advertisement was so poor.

Benm

To be honest i didn't notice either... i guess someone in the marketing department there really hates birds ;)