Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aixiz Conundrum

Here's a question. I have some Aixiz modules, some being glass and some being plastic collimating lenses. Is there some secret way to tell the lenses apart by looking at them or some manufacturer mark?

daguin

You have AixiZ glass lenses in a plastic lens nut? :-? ALL of my glass AixiZ glass lenses have come in a metal lens nut.

Peace,
dave

And if these two options don't do it, the glass should have a very slight blue tint when viewed at an angle.

Dave, the lenses are all in plastic lens nuts.

I'll look a bit closer at the lenses themselves. It may be they are all plastic lenses in which case I was shipped the wrong parts. I was just hoping that there might be some manufacturer mark on the nut that would identify the component.

I tried massing them figuring the density of glass was greater than that of polycarbonate and would have a larger mass. No dice.

daguin

FrothyChimp said:
Dave, the lenses are all in plastic lens nuts.
I'll look a bit closer at the lenses themselves. It may be they are all plastic lenses in which case I was shipped the wrong parts. I was just hoping that there might be some manufacturer mark on the nut that would identify the component.
I tried massing them figuring the density of glass was greater than that of polycarbonate and would have a larger mass. No dice.

There may be a good reason why there is no difference in the mass of the two "types" of lenses.  Take one of your "glass" lenses.  Insert a very small screwdriver into the small hole in the back.  Push it firmly against the side and pry up.  The rear portion is only friction fitted into the nut.  It IS tight, but it is NOT glued.  Push the lens out the back with a Q-Tip.  After you have the lens out of the nut it should be easy to tell plastic from glass.

You cannot do this with the metal nuts that hold the glass lenses.  The back of the nut in a metal/glass one has an open back configuration, with just a retaining ring.  Plastic/acrylic have an aperture restricting mask over the rear.  Plastic lens nuts with acrylic lenses come from AixiZ just thrown into a baggy.  Metal lens nuts with glass lenses come from AixiZ individually wrapped in thin paper.

Peace,
dave

BluRay

You should be able to tell the Glass lense from the plastic ones by just looking at it.

Like Sk8r4515 said, the plastic aixiz lense that comes with the blank modules have the original plastic lense that is black and has a little hole at the back, that we usually cut out to let more light through, thats what we call as 'plastic cut away'

The Glass lense you order seperately has a metal body screw like the plastic lense, but metal, and the metal body is longer. and the back end has a larger hole then that of the plastic ones.

Does that clear it up?

Tommy

Thanks guys. Yes they are all plastic lenses then. Everything described is there for plastic.

daguin

FrothyChimp said:
Thanks guys. Yes they are all plastic lenses then. Everything described is there for plastic.

I think that FrothyChimp is going to be "writing a letter" later today ;)

Peace,
dave

This is what happens when you get out of your element. I thought I might build a diode laser or two but alas, I should stick to playing with the YAGs

daguin

FrothyChimp said:
This is what happens when you get out of your element. I thought I might build a diode laser or two but alas, I should stick to playing with the YAGs

Ahh, young Grasshopper . . . .

After experiencing such adversity it would seem the prudent choice

However, consider the tortoise

If he hides inside his shell he feels safe and secure

However, if he does this would he not eventually die of thirst and hunger?

Yes

It is only by extending himself

only by reaching beyond security

only by sticking his neck out

that he can thrive

Now, snatch the pebble from my hand

<snerk>

Peace,
dave

But Master Po, if I hide in my shell I can blast holes in them with my much more powerful YAGs and steal their food.

P.S. Letter Sent!

daguin

FrothyChimp said:
But Master Po, if I hide in my shell I can blast holes in them with my much more powerful YAGs and steal their food.

P.S. Letter Sent!

The impetuousness of youth.

Remember the first rule about winning a war . . . .

He who attacks must vanquish
He who defends must merely survive

"When you can walk the distance of the rice paper without leaving a trace, you will have learned"

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
The impetuousness of youth.

Remember the first rule about winning a war . . . .

He who attacks must vanquish
He who defends must merely survive

"When you can walk the distance of the rice paper without leaving a trace, you will have learned"

Peace,
dave

Master Kan,

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.