Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

aixiz 50mw module question

I got one of the 50mw aixiz modules from ebay, and it doesn't work. They're sending a replacement, and their service is great!

But, I don't think he wants this one back. It does not emit any green light, and while I was poking around on it, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a faint, deep red glow coming from the laser. Could a damaged diode cause this, or is it most likely the crystals, or something else? If it's just the diode, I noticed some interest in the group buy forums for an 808nm c mount diode, and I might try to find one and replace the one thats in it.

I'm just wondering if the faint red glow inside the laser gives anyone a clue as to the problem.

thanks!!

daguin

wicked1 said:
I got one of the 50mw aixiz modules from ebay, and it doesn't work.  They're sending a replacement, and their service is great!

But, I don't think he wants this one back.  It does not emit any green light, and while I was poking around on it, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a faint, deep red glow coming from the laser.  Could a damaged diode cause this, or is it most likely the crystals, or something else?  If it's just the diode, I noticed some interest in the group buy forums for an 808nm c mount diode, and I might try to find one and replace the one thats in it.

I'm just wondering if the faint red glow inside the laser gives anyone a clue as to the problem.

thanks!!

The "faint red glow" is probably the FULL POWER IR diode. Be careful

Peace,
dave

ArRaY

The faint red glow! Where is the devil smile? :mad: ;)

It means the IR diode is still working and if you looked into it you probably damaged your eyes.

ArRaY

well.....
I just took the back of the module out and exposed the diode. I didn't look into the diode but shined it on something. It made a faint red bar. I looked at the bar through my camera, and it wasn't much brighter than w/ the naked eye. (a remote control IR led shows up pretty bright white in the same camera.. but I dont know enough about spectrum and all that to know if that matters)
Then the other test I did was to put my hand directly in front of the diode, and I didn't feel any heat.
again.. i dont know if I should. For ~700ma driving it, though, I'd expect to feel something.

Before I took it apart I shined it directly into my camera, and it didn't show anything at all (w/ my naked eye I could barely see the red)

and Im not staring directly at it at all. Just a quick glance out of the corner of my eye to detect the red.

daguin

ArRaY said:
The faint red glow! [highlight]Where is the devil smile?  [/highlight]:mad:   ;)

In the reply screen, look to your left.  You will see "more smilies."   It is called "evil."  [smiley=evil.gif]

Peace,
dave  [smiley=engel017.gif]

ArRaY

daguin said:
[quote author=ArRaY link=1223843861/0#2 date=1223844137]The faint red glow! [highlight]Where is the devil smile?  [/highlight]:mad:   ;)

In the reply screen, look to your left.  You will see "more smilies."   It is called "evil."  [smiley=evil.gif]

Peace,
dave  [smiley=engel017.gif][/quote]

I was close with the name [smiley=evil.gif]
Thanks Dave!
ArRaY

My update doesn't change your suggestions that the diode is ok?

In that case I'm guessing it's nothing easy to fix. The crystals look ok, as in they are clear and not cracked or anything, and rotating the diode doesn't make any difference.
I'm pretty sure the crystal assembly is all glued into place so I guess that ends my attempt at repair.