Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice needed on this green pointer

Hi everyone

I've stumbled across this board whilst researching a green laser that I have found today.

I've been wanting a laser for star pointing for what seems like years but haven't ever committed as I didn't want to buy any old tat! There are so many places to buy from I was never sure where to get one from so have abstained thus far.

However today I spotted one at my local electronics store and (in a likely moment of madness) bought one.

It's very low powered (I don't need or want a high powered device) but even so I have to say I was a bit disappointed at how it performed at star pointing, it was very difficult to make out the beam when pointed at the ground, and impossible to see when pointed upwards.

Now I admit to being totally new to the subject so I wondered if you wouldn't mind looking at where I bought the pointer from and whether you think it's 'safe' or not.

I have been reading on here about pointers needing an IR filter, whether it's just for the higher powered versions I don't know...

The link is here

The reason why I bought it without any further research as the company is well respected in the UK and as it was being sold over the counter it should comply to various safety standards and be safe to use, the UK is very strict in that department, but I would like to check with the experts!

Would you expect me to be able to see a beam at night with this pointer or do I need something more powerful?

Thanks very much in advance for any replies! :)

For what your wanting to do, you probably want something in the 50-100mw range. Green lasers are in no way hard to find in those powers relatively cheaply. $100-$200 US for one actually at spec. They can be had cheaper, but YMMV on the actual power output you get. 'You get what you pay for' very much applies to cheap high power lasers. Don't be surprised when the cheap ones are nowhere near their advertised specs, or that a good portion of the claimed power output is really IR.

Something like this is what you need for good beam visibility.

http://www.o-like.com/index.php?mai..._id=54&zenid=a0b5a0a870fd26be322f7acafbcb371d

As far as import restrictions for the UK, You'll either have to search that one yourself, or wait until another UK member chimes in.

Last edited:
i suggest that you get a 50mw new style laser from wlaser (not wicked lasers) private message sandidgepatrick

the 50mw is only $23 and tell him i sent you

Thank you everyone for your replies, it's appreciated! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, life has been rather hectic lately!

I've been doing as you suggested and looking for a higher power version, there doesn't seem to be that much available in the UK which makes me think there could be some restrictions which I'm unaware of (I can't seem to find anything concrete to say what the law is).

I have found two laser pens, could you give me your opinions on them please.

Safety is paramount to me, I'm not clued up on lasers unfortunately but I have read about problems with IR etc., so whatever I buy I do want it to be safe, I'd rather not get a cheap eBay pen.

The two pens I am looking at are this 20mW and this 50mW, they are UK based which is good for me as I don't need to worry about import costs etc.

I would love to hear your opinions on them. If I am just using them for star pointing (anything else such as playing with dogs I will just use a <1mW) would I need safety goggles?

Thanks very much! :)

I doubt anyone here has dealt with them, at least no one that's looked at this thread. Use the search an look up the model numbers of those pens and see if you get any hits from any other threads here.

I think he was wanting to stick with something inside the UK, But if getting something from o-like, i'd recommend this:

Silver chrome green laser 50mW/good finish [OLSGL50] - $29.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

If he wants it just for star pointing, There's no reason to get an adjustable one plus he wouldn't have to deal with Li-Ion batteries.

However... The one folder pointed out will give longer run times, on both battery life and duty cycles, just from being a larger host so it has better heatsinking than pen type hosts. Plus it uses rechargable batteries. However you'd need to get a charger too if you got that one, so more initial expense, but save money in the long run on batteries.