Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice needed for buget 200mw red's & goggles

I am very excited to get my first laser, however, naturally I would like to keep the prices to a minimum for now. I am currently having issues deciding between a few lasers, from a few different places.
First on the list Lazerer:

Lazerer Classic 200mw

O-Like:
200mw Old style (dilda)

200mw new style

Rafoss:

Rafoss 200mw laser (looks suspiciously like the lazerer classic, but 20$ less because it comes with batteries)
If anyone can find a 26$ dilda that ships to the us because yourlasers wont

If all of these are terrible, survival lasers makes a host for 20$ and o like sells a good LPC-826 diode for 11$ and a driver for 4, I suppose i could build one for 40$ if it would be far superior in quality
If you took the time to read and click through all of that, maybe you have enough time to answer a few questions about goggles. Before everyone sends me this link
Eagle Pair® 190-400nm & 580-760nm Laser Safety Goggles
whats better those or the dragonlaser goggles that are slightly less, but arent double wavelength
has anyone ever tried these red laser goggles? Beginner laser goggles

These look the same Rafoss goggles

Rafoss sells a pair that have the same "specs" and look the same.They claim to be >5.0 od, but Chinese products aren't known to always be on spec. If you think they'll be sufficient for a 200mw, or at least worth testing, I will try and see if they keep the light out. But I would rather spent 20$ than loose a retina, but if they would work, id rather save 20$. I don't need to be worried about IR with reds, do I?
Well, I've probably taken enough time out of your day, Thank You

If you build one, it would be superior quality; you don't need to be worried about IR with red lasers, since IR only comes from 532nm lasers through a process called frequency doubling. Honestly get a good pair of glasses, because if you plan on buying more lasers, at some point you'll have a 445nm, which you shouldn't have without good glasses. So you'll be saving money in the long run :D
No telling actually output, all of those- except maybe the last one- should be able to pop a balloon. I'd buy the lazerer one since they come with LPM readings (if you buy them)

Last edited:
Lazerer sells a cheap 100 mw, what can a 200 do that 100 can't, and how much brighter is the 200mw than the 100mw? Do you think the beginner glasses would protect me from 100mw but not 200mw as well? Is there any test that you could do without a meter? Even so, I may build one for the quality, and the fun! Do you think this o-like driver would fit in the survival laser host? 200mW red laser diode driver / constant current /current adjusta
If the goggles are a bad idea, I value my Retina's over a laser, which I assume everyone can agree apon. Thanks, I really aprecate it

Laik

You can get a cheap 200mW red laser module from laserlands and then you could just put it in a focusable host.

Red lasers aren't very bright to begin with. You couldnt really see the beam of either. I can't give my opinion on those glasses since i haven't anything like them.
Only major difference between 100 and 200 would be the time it takes to burn things.
I agree with Laik, just get a module and put it in a host

Is there really a difference between buying a Chinese driver and module. Then a Chinese host, versus a complete Chinese laser? I guess the diode and driver would be from China anyway. Also, does this come with a driver, if so, how does that whole thing fit in a host.
BL-M 655nm 150mW Red Laser Dot Module w/ Driver in

Edit: I'm an idiot, it says w/ driver, but the other questions still stand

Last edited:
There's not really a difference; the only differences would be you get to choose the heatsink/host and it would be slightly cheaper than buying a complete one. That does come with a driver, but it would much to big to fit into a host. This is the size you'd want to fit into a host BL-M 650nm 5mW Red Laser Dot Module
Don't limit yourself to laserland; you could easily find a high quality module on other sites, i can't attest laserland's quality since I've never bought from them. If i get the time today, i might edit a good module into this post.

Right now I feel like i should take the safe road. Get a tested, tried and true set of survival laser eagle pair, then get a cheap o-like 100mw red, until I can pick up a high quality 1w blue and save myself the risk. On a different topic there's 2 eagle pair goggles that I can't decide between these 2 pairs.

190-400nm & 580-760nm

190-470nm & 660-760nm

I'd much rather get the ones that are 190-470nm & 660-760nm because they protect from 445nm lasers. However, the laser I want is 650nm. Since the lowest red is 660nw will it work for a 650nm red? I personally wouldn't be surprised if the diodes were variable by that much. Plus survival lasers only sells 660nm, not 650nm so that may be why.

Last edited:
Sounds perfect. It should be safe to get the 660-760nm glasses. The glasses protect lower down than 660nm, just not at OD 4+ -Should be fine with 100mw 650nm.
Write a review when you get it :beer:

Thanks Josh. Perhaps if the community is interested in the 12$ 100mw, I could pay to get it shipped and get it tested.

Do you think they'll work for say, a 650nm 200mw red if get one in the future? I would suspect so, but you can never be to cautious.

I'm having issues purchasing from o-like. When I hit confirm the order, it pops up the payment section, but when I enter in American Express or Visa, it says that it doesn't accept American Express or Visa. But if I go to my orders I see it ordered 3 times. I’m afraid that if it finally goes through I’ll pay for 3 orders. I emailed o-like, and am awaiting a response. Does anyone have experience dealing with o-like. If so, please tell me what to do.

Thanks

DrSid

I'm having issues purchasing from o-like. When I hit confirm the order, it pops up the payment section, but when I enter in American Express or Visa, it says that it doesn't accept American Express or Visa. But if I go to my orders I see it ordered 3 times. I’m afraid that if it finally goes through I’ll pay for 3 orders. I emailed o-like, and am awaiting a response. Does anyone have experience dealing with o-like. If so, please tell me what to do.

Thanks

I bought from them with no problems. But I used Pay-pal and it is 2 years back or so ..

So the email worked wonders! I sent them what I wanted to order and my issue, and they quickly responded. They sent me a paypal request, I payed, and now it should be processing. So currently I have my goggles on the way form survival, which should arrive before the o-like laser. Isn't survival lasers in the US, please correct me if that's wrong. I am very happy to soon have my first burning laser! Does anyone know if there's a way to estimate the power of a laser, like having it cut electrical tape? If so, I would be interested in est. the power in my future review.
Thanks

EDIT: ANY FORUM MEMBERS PURCHASING FROM SURVIVAL LASERS, USE CODE LPF445

Last edited:

DrSid

Yes .. they are helpful .. and they know about this forum and visit here often to help people right here. More companies does that, and it's always nice to see that they are smart enough to care about their reputation. If only all companies were like that !
As for power guestimation, I use black CD case .. 200mW takes like 10 seconds to burn through (with best focus). 400mW takes like 5 seconds, and my 1.5W can do it about 1 seconds. In other words: power(mW) = 2000/time(s).
Not all CD cases are same though .. but it's much more of a problem with tapes or matches ..

Last edited: