Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice for optics and powers

Yep ,

well...more information ? the point is this : I have 3 laser modules with fan cooling 5V , I would like to collimate the 3 laser beams into a single beam ,all here the 3 lasers are blue, with a wavelength of 445nm, and are all 3 of 445nm ,the light-emitting diodes that fit within them are all Nichia , 5.5 W and 2.5 W are 9mm while the 1.6 W is 5.6 mm ,Diachi explained to me that unfortunately it is NOT possible to focus 3 beams having the same wavelength , to be able to make such a collimation, there is a need that the 3 laser have different wavelengths ....all here ! so unfortunately I can't carry forward my project ,patience I will use them individually ,perhaps by transforming them externally to laser pointers ,just to have the impression that they are pointers and NOT laser modules

This is the one to 2.5 W (identical and precise)
7532d197-52cf-4a18-be42-6568989055b1.jpg

This is the one to 1.6 W (identical and precise)
406711-MLM20625675443_032016-Y.jpg

This is the one to 5.5 W (identical and precise)
SKU281210(5).jpg

Let me know if there is a vain hope to go forward with my project , in the meantime, I thank You ALL for listening to me and given advice , thanks guys

Last edited:
You can use a polarizing beam splitter (PBS) to combine 2 lasers as shown here:

Or, as others have suggested, you can knife edge them together using mirrors like this:

Note that while the PBS will produce a single beam, knife edging will produce a tightly packed bundle of beams that only look like a single beam.

You can also use a combination of the techniques and knife edge only 2 modules, then send the knife-edged beam through a PBS to combine it with the other beam.

Last edited:
Thx so much H2Oxide , so it is not possible to collimate the 3 lasers , but only 2 ? I have well understood ?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
H2Oxide has just shown you a method of combining more than two beams. Knife edge the beams. If you want to combine 4 beams or more then with the use of a PBS and knife edging, you can achieve this.

BigRed-rezide.jpg

The image was thanks to a LPF member called Kevlar. This is obviously the extreme of what you are doing, but it proves a point at least.

Last edited:
Oh thanks a lot ! finally I can finish my project ! we hope to come out a powerful beam ! so at least I use it for cooking and saving on your gas bill :) maybe by wrapping the whole (a finished work) to the inside of a pipe with a single exit hole of the beam , so as to not lose emission !

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
By wrapping the laser in a pipe, you won't do anything to affect the emission unless you cut off some of the beam. Also, I do not believe cooking with this laser is a good idea or a likely application. What safety goggles do you own?

I have lenses of red color in the glass specially made from my optical zeiss for laser blue ! you know I was joking on the fact of cooking ! beautiful London, I have dear friends there , and one of these has just passed the tests to be admitted as the driver of the "red bus" double-decker :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Do you know what OD they are at. Some of the things that we hear on this forum, It wouldn't surprise me :D London has it's nice parts. Nice job for your friend getting his bus license. Not a easy thing in London.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
OD stands for optical density. With nearly 10w of total output power, you need at least OD4+ blue spectrum goggles.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Module, as you don't have to worry about batteries. You can also add better heatsinks and fans/tec's for temperature control which helps with stability.

I agree with you ,

And especially you can hold on even for an hour without interruption ,without bangs or overheating ! however,

The only flaw is that it is not "portable" it would be nice if it was possible to use both the electric current to the battery :D

Last edited: