Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice for optics and powers

Hi Folks ,

I'm building a laser with a total power of 96W ! But now I am stuck on the positioning in the series, and on the proper focus with the prism optical ,I have to say that I'm talking about the 3 laser modules powered 12V-2A and fan dissipation from 5V ,one from the 1.6 W a a 2.5 W one is from 5.5 W ,then how should I place them ? starting from the smallest ? or from the biggest ?

diachi

Hi Folks ,

I'm building a laser with a total power of 96W ! But now I am stuck on the positioning in the series, and on the proper focus with the prism optical ,I have to say that I'm talking about the 3 laser modules powered 12V-2A and fan dissipation from 5V ,one from the 1.6 W a a 2.5 W one is from 5.5 W ,then how should I place them ? starting from the smallest ? or from the biggest ?

Not sure I'm quite understanding what you mean? Could you explain in a little more detail - perhaps provide some drawings/diagrams of what you're thinking/have already.

Yep , in practice, I want to know how to combine the 3 laser modules , that is, in this way : 5.5 w+2.5 w+1.6 w ? all here ! and then put a single prism optical long-15cm in order to join the 3 laser beams and have a unique laser beam powerful !

Sta

How do you intend to get 96W from 5.5, 2.5, and 1.6w? Does not seem reasonable.

diachi

How do you intend to get 96W from 5.5, 2.5, and 1.6w? Does not seem reasonable.

OP meant 9.6W, not 96W, just a typo. ;)

Yep , in practice, I want to know how to combine the 3 laser modules , that is, in this way : 5.5 w+2.5 w+1.6 w ? all here ! and then put a single prism optical long-15cm in order to join the 3 laser beams and have a unique laser beam powerful !

Again, can you give us a diagram of what you're trying to achieve? Are you wanting to combine the beams using a prism like this?

matthias-kulka-light-beam-through-glass-prism.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

diachi

Exactly Diachi , yep 9.6W not 96W i'm sorry !

So you do want to use a prism like in the image I posted to combine the beams?

diachi

are all 3 laser blue with a wavelength of 445nm ,the only difference being in power !

OK, so to combine them with a prism you need them to be different wavelengths.

Diode lasers often vary in wavelength straight from the factory, so they may already be slightly different. If not - you'd need to "temperature tune" each diode individually - as is done in the video I linked in my last post.

Yes , I saw the video ! ehm...unfortunately I have only these 3 laser modules I have ! it will mean that I will try to combine the 3 beams in a single beam, and what comes out,it will come out !!!! patience .

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Your best bet is knifedging the two lower power modules and then combining through pbs. But the optical output will not be of great quality.

DaRk LaSeR, the more information you give us about what you want to build and how you plan to etc. the easier it will be for us to give good suggestions.

Do you simply want a powerful laser with out worrying about beam quality?
Are you going for power just for burning or do you really want high visibility?
What is you budget?
Etc....

Last edited: