Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advantages/Disadvantages of DIY Kits.

This is my second post as a new member here.Some very good and honnest people here in LPF are truying to help me before i pay for a stronge solid 445 laser beam.I like some HOT Host kits here very much but my only problem is that im afraid of doing the soldering of the Laser diode to the driver by myselfe.I dont have any experience of this before and iam not a rich guy so if anything will goes wrong..i can not say to myselfe..what the hell i will buy new one....so now iam collecting money for a stronge laser made from members here that has 100% possitive feedback and reputation.So iam asking..what is the best thing to do??Buy a Hot kit from a 100% possitive guy here and try to solder the diode yourselfe that you have no experience with this thing before or buy a complete laser unit from a 100% possitive guy here?Greetings from Greece to anybody outhere!

Last edited:

norbyx

Well there are kits and kits. The ones that involve soldering normally aren't kits, but they just sell you the parts and than you have to do all the work, it is not "SO" risky but there is always something that could go wrong.

If you buy a kit that you just neet to assemble the laser, and there is no soldering involved, than it is much easyer, and almost risk free...

Now don't think that buying a COMPLETE laser doesn't offer any risk at all, there is still some risks involved. Lasers that are made by members of LPF usually are more powerfull than the same priced lasers sold by a mayor brand.

Fact is that sometimes keeping the power down helps on the life of a laser in time, so you have to decide if you want a very powerful laser for a short time, or a not so powerful, for a longer time.

One thing you have to find a seller that stands back his product, there are many here that will warranty your laser if it breaks down, but you will have to send the laser back for eventual repairs.

My advise... as the first laser buy yourself a already built one, ether from a local member or from a known laser company. Than, if you like the hobby and stick to it, you might consider making your own.

Good luck.

Advantage: Cheaper and satisfying
Disadvantage: One mistake and you could have bought two complete builds for the price of your error

Thank you norbyx for your informations.Iam very glad that you helped me with your opinion!

Last edited:
That is the thing that iam afraid so much Livinloud!As for the chipper for you guys in US yes its free shipping..for me in Greece whatever i bought from outside has shipping cost..the thing that is important to me is that always iam looking for honnest people that they are always stand by in their products so if anything will go wrong i will have them by my side..I have an example of why i trust American technology..Iam a vaper of electronic cigarettes 2 years now.All the china products in this thing are garbage.The only Mod(Personal Vaporizer in this language that the construction..the power that gives you in vaping and the quality is superb is Provari by provape(US product)!Iam always looking for the best!And i quit analog smoking with this thing!

Last edited:
I agree with norbyx. Buy one maybe not so strong right from the start, but enough to play with. As you enjoy it, buy a soldering iron (preferablly a low wattage) & learn how to solder, starting with average wires then progressing down to small wires along with circuit boards.

Don't forget your saftey glasses. The cost is nothing compared to damaging your eyes. Best of luck.