Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Adding Adjustable Focus to the Artic Spyder III

XOIIO

Hey everyone, I've had my Artic Spyder III from wicked lasers for a while now (the 1w one, not the newer 1.25w one), however a limitation which is annoying is that it has no adjustable focus, only a focusing lense which is fixed.

I had an idea, if I could get an adjustable lense that you turn manually, I could take one of the other leses which I do not use, take piece of glass out of that and mount an adjustable lense on it with JB weld or somethiing less permanent.

What I need is a source where I can order a lense like that, I want one that I can focus decently far with (I've heard of focusing to infinity? Not sure what that is).

So, where is a place I can order a focusing lense that I could mount on the laser.

If some third party company makes an end attachment like this already that would be cool.

They used to sell a piece of tube that would fit into the notches on the lens...but they dont anymore.

If you pick off the glue on the lens it will free the lens to make it adjustable. Then you could JBweld an appropriate size tube to the top of the lens.

If you pop out the lens in the very top piece you can run the tube through that so you can turn the tube to focus the lens.

XOIIO

They used to sell a piece of tube that would fit into the notches on the lens...but they dont anymore.

If you pick off the glue on the lens it will free the lens to make it adjustable. Then you could JBweld an appropriate size tube to the top of the lens.

If you pop out the lens in the very top piece you can run the tube through that so you can turn the tube to focus the lens.

Interesting idea, however instead of just a tube I'd like a pre made lense assembly I could put in instead.

They dont make one. The lens is deep in the body so you need something long to turn the lens from the top of the body. WL may make a focusing lens for the very top...but I'm not sure. I had the extended lens kit...and it didnt have one. If I remember right non-focusing was one of the big draw backs of the Arctic....among others LOOL.

There is a tutorial for making an adjuster somewhere on the forum...but its the tube design I mentioned above.