Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Adding a capacitor to protect FAPs when using cheap buck power supplies

Fauxtawn

I plan on building a portable FAP laser. The idea is to use some cheap power supplies in parallel to power it.

Hf5d97e0427a44a4d816a96fc5839dd55K.jpg

However the problems as I understand it are:

1) These power supplies don't like being wired in parallel because one might backdrive the other. - I plan to use Shottky diodes to prevent this.
2) Some say these power supplies might introduce a voltage spike when turned on.

I'm thinking I can use a capacitor to flatten the voltage spike. If this is a good idea, any recommendations on what kind/size capacitor I should use? Thanks!

Giannis_TDM

I plan on building a portable FAP laser. The idea is to use some cheap power supplies in parallel to power it.

Hf5d97e0427a44a4d816a96fc5839dd55K.jpg

However the problems as I understand it are:

1) These power supplies don't like being wired in parallel because one might backdrive the other. - I plan to use Shottky diodes to prevent this.
2) Some say these power supplies might introduce a voltage spike when turned on.

I'm thinking I can use a capacitor to flatten the voltage spike. If this is a good idea, any recommendations on what kind/size capacitor I should use? Thanks!
Due to the way that their feedback is done, I suggest that you do nothing of the short, instead, get a low voltage high current constant voltage CPU PSU to add a shunt and a dual opamp and tap into its feedback to turn it into CC.

Look into Marco rep's laser driver for this exact application (or if you can find the dc-dc module, just build his, developed to do this exact thing.)