Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

adding a blink function

I bought a Class IIIa Green Laser Pointer from thinkgeek

ThinkGeek :: Class IIIa Green Laser Pointer

It's main purpose was to point out pipes and cable ways at work. After a few months the front became loose and would push out, then the back cap unscrewed in my pocket and was lost at work.

I have the diode with the board still attached and if I add power it comes on. I have a brass case and a power supply for it, but I want to add a 3 position switch ON,Off, Blink?

How can I add a blink function?

Any advise or ideas would be appreciated.

Jim

Tmack

The modes you see in other lasers are result of having a specific driver. I'm not sure if a switch could do this. Maybe someone else knows if its possible through the switch

Zeebit

A mechanical switch would not work. Not unless you want to constantly flick it on and off:p
You would need to change the driver with one that has PWM which is basically an electronic switch. I don't know any that would fit in a pen, though.

Last edited:
The brass case I'm looking at is the same as the light switch case used on military ships. Or I might go 1 size up to a junction box if I need more room. The mechanical switch is just the on off.

Can I add a board that will add the blink function?

If so, where could I get one?

Probably have to build it yourself.
I don't know how to do it :p so you'd be better off asking someone else. Good luck!

If I was to suggest a board to add the blink function, it would be something like this...

AMC7135 4-Group 2~5 Modes LED Flashlight Driver

But this is obviously too large to fit into the pen host that you have shown. So you will need to change hosts, to maybe an inexpensive C6? Or a rayfoss? Anything that will accept the 12mm 532nm module and the 17mm AMC7135 board.

Just an idea..

-Adrian

The pen shown is what I had bought and I pretty much came apart. The new host I looking at is a mil spec brass watertight lightswitch or junction box. It will be a desktop laser or a steampunkian gift for a friend.

I'll look into that site and see what I can find. Like I said any ideas will definately help.

Jim

PWM controllers may also be called Direct Drive drivers. Basically slips a FET in-line with the circuit and PWMs that FET to create different output levels. Usually, the modes are built-in and designed for flashlights. You'll probably find them with L-M-H or L-M-H-SOS-Strobe