Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Adaptive Optics-Easy add on to any Hand Held

See this Technical document from Edmonds Scientific:
http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/prisms/specialty-prisms/anamorphic-prism-pairs/2429

It notes that the output beam will be offset from the input beam by 5.9mm....as I was referring to in an earlier post.

OK....now look at the layout....with a threaded ID....which would accept a typical brass threaded collimation lens barrel....M9 x 0.5 ....the beam path would be centered in that barrel. Project where the beam path will propagate into the first Anamorphic prism.....right on that prism corner. This cannot be.

The beam path MUST strike into the first prism as shown in my drawing attached...APM-AO-V3....then the propagation path will shift and strike the second prism dead centre as shown. The path has a different angle of incidence as it enters the second prism...and travels as shown. This IS what will happen....and this is why ES notes a 5.9mm shift.

OK....so what !! This means that the prism set MUST be shifted to the right....as viewed from a plan view perspective. This then drives the need for the geometry of the small optical platform to be enlarged to accommodate the shifting of the optics.

It would work....just NOT as presented in the Crazyspaz 3D rendering....Close...but a little bigger. It would have a larger diameter front section to provide room for the prism's to be shifted.

Mmmmmmmmm ????:thinking::thinking:

One could take a solid Aluminum rod....say 1" in diameter by 1.5" long. Machine off 1/2 the diameter back 1 1/4". Then...bore a hole in the back to a M9 x 0.5 thread size. This bore would the accept the collimation lens. Maybe add a set screw provision to lock down the lens ??

This then would deliver a miniature optical platform....a flat extension to which the Anamorphic prism's could be secured with epoxy. If you think about...this IS the very same concept that ARG first used with his first 445 dual build....and that I copied/used with the Tridentis and Dragon's Head build....just on a MUCH smaller scale.

Come to think of it....make the OD of your Aluminum rod stock 1.25" !!! In this way....the optical platform would be big enough that the end could be shrouded with a tube of acrylic or metal to entomb the business end ...thereby protecting the optics and making things look more tidy !!!

I will throw together a drawing.....but....this approach IS much more elegant, simple, easier to fab...and therefore less $$$

What is amazing here... is how we springboard of each other's ideas. Synergy...THEN..." Bob's your Uncle " HAHAHAHA

Lite'em Up CDBEAM=======>

Attachments

• APM-AO-V3.JPG
    APM-AO-V3.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

I have not used Wedge prisms. How would it be eaiser ???....How do they mount ??? If they mount on the circumference.....well.....that involves a multi-ID for a mount tube...which = machining time = $$$...even with a CNC operation.

The Anamorphics have two (2) parallel planes...and I know how to clamp these....like a sandwich !!! No glue.

But....the Anamorphics could be glued as well....the bottom flat plane of the prism's... to the floor of the box construct....thus eliminating the need for the top plate to clamp down on the top of the prism's. We could still retain the box geometry as it provides a center support for the shroud tube.

Gives me some other ideas for cost cutting !!! Thanx !!!!!!!!!

Stanwax A-prism's are $60 for two....Edmonds Wedge prism's are about $ 60 each....typical !!
I have used ES mounts for my projector Dichroic filters....and they are a good value for a good quality.....but...I will pass on these Wedge Prism's.

Interesting project !!! :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I was suggesting wedge prisms be used not necessarily Edmund Optics brand

Isn't it easier to mount an object with a circular profile in a round tube than it is the mount an object having a rectangular profile in a round tube?

I was suggesting wedge prisms be used not necessarily Edmund Optics brand

Isn't it easier to mount an object with a circular profile in a round tube than it is the mount an object having a rectangular profile in a round tube?

Yes...Circle ~ Circle SHOULD be the easiest approach...were it NOT for the 5.9mm offset we must contend with. I will continue to think about the Circular Wedge Prism option !!

I bet ES uses Anamorphics though....based on their " A-prism Mounted option" Dunno ???

I just do not have any experience with the Wedge Prisms....which are a rounded version of the A-prism's....but I have used A-prisms for years.

Perhaps on a Optical Breadboard platform....where translation in XYZ is completely adjustable.....in that setting....the Wedge Prisms may be the way to go ????? Dunno ????

Wow, this is looking amazing, and very do-able! I was thinking there still might need to be a bit of extra rotational adjustment available, so that you can align the prism's stage with the fast diverging axis of the laser. Right now, the biggest issue I can see is how to screw on the add-on without causing the lens to change focus in the aixiz module. A bit of loctite ought to fix that ;-)

I was going to make some big long description of how some rotational adjustment could be incorporated, but the set-screw idea seems to be the simplest. Adjust until the fast axis and the optics stage align, then engage set screw to clamp that position to the loctite'd focus lens that is already installed in the aixiz module.

This same platform might be a good starting point to allow for maybe a beam expander add on? Could only be simpler, no rotational adjustment or 5.6mm offset needed! Different story for a different thread.

Great work, everybody!

Thought I'd try my hand at a drawing, took way longer than I thought it would, and turned out much crappier than expected. Still, there's my thoughts on rotational adjustment.

correctiveOpticsAddOn_zpsbc2c4bb2.png

Just a quick drawing of a possible prototype....see APM-AO-V6......Fairly small too !!! 1 1/4" dia by 1 1/4 " in length !!! Cost ???? Much less than a box type construct !!...ARG speculated $5 bucks a pop.....I would say more like $10...so....then....add the optics for $60...." Bob IS your Uncle" !!! ===> $ 70

Depends if U want it assembled ???? Add maybe $ 20 ????

Note: I forgot 4-40 Allen head set screw...bore and thread operation.... add some $$ ???

Note: the platform extension where the Anamorphic prism's would be placed needs to be LESS than 1/2 the diameter to center the beam path into the center of the prism's. To that end...the thickness of the extension would be 13/32"....see drawing.

Note: A cover tube COULD be slipped over the OD of the module. This tube/shroud would need to have an ID of 1-1/4" and be 1-1/4" long. The tube could have a front plate also....with a small beam output hole. All depends on how ya want to dress it up ??

And yes...BShan....I think Loctite could be used to secure the Collimation lens barrel into the HH unit.....And that lens will need to be secured to allow the A-Prism module to be screwed on !! Nice drawing BTW....and yes.....We are all bumping this down the road....refining and improving with each new idea!!! Just look at the first post in this thread....and you can see the iteration process unfolding as we go !!! Fun stuff !!! And a great collaboration !! Thanx to all !

Attachments

• APM-AO-V6.JPG
    APM-AO-V6.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
This is a kind of odd question, but is it possible to cut anamorphic prisms in half?

You might be able to do it with a tile wet saw. It would require a steady hand and good
technique. I recommend practicing on wine bottles before attempting to cut the expensive
prisms.

You might be able to do it with a tile wet saw. It would require a steady hand and good
technique. I recommend practicing on wine bottles before attempting to cut the expensive
prisms.

I helped to cut some larger Cylinderical lenses once....BUT....they were large....like 40 mm tall. A Dremel Tool was used with one of these...

Amazon.com: Large 45mm Diamond Cut-Off Grinding Wheel Fits Dremel - Cut Glass Stone Tile Hardened Steel: Home Improvement

It is a real ...Major PITA !!!! The prisms will be BBAR AR coated....so they can be scratched more readily than just B7 glass !!

AND....remember you would have to cut the height in half !! Start with 11mm...minus about 1mm for the cut width....you end up....if you are lucky....with two sections at 5mm tall.... TOO short IMNSHO !!

The set up was a Dremel Tool ...mounted on a plate....with a strait edge also mounted as a guide...RATHER CRUDE....but it worked....We used with a small water circulating pump to keep a water stream on the blade while cutting....MUST DO THIS !!

The operation threw a spray of water all over the place.....which made it difficult to see the work piece ... which in our case was MUCH bigger. And remember....you have a high RPM spinning Diamond Cutting blade....and you are trying to hold on to a little tiny piece of glass.....while having a water spray blasting your eyeballs !!!! ...Right next to your fingers !!! HAHAHAHA !!! This = a PITA and has safety risks !!!!

At the end of the day....screw this !!! Risk +resulting small size = not worth the effort !!! Plus......the cut surface MAY not end up parallel with the uncut surface if your alignment is not spot on !!!...and this will cause the beam to be distorted...when/if you epoxy the uncut surface !!!!

Last edited:
Beam circularization. I don't know if this is practical or economical. I'll leave it up to others here to determine if it is.

Many laser applications require a circular, astigmatism-free, diffraction limited, high power beam. A tapered laser diode can generate up to 6 W output power in a diffraction limited beam. However the beam is elliptical and highly astigmatic rendering the design of beam shaping challenging. We present a diffraction limited beam shaping design, especially suitable to circularize and collimate highly astigmatic beams. The setup consists of a simple plano-convex cylindrical lens in the aplanatic condition and an asphere. The first lens matches the divergence of the fast- to the slow axis at the point where the beam is circular while the following asphere collimates the beam. The aplanatic condition is fulfilled by choosing a glass with a specific refractive index depending on the ratio between fast- and slow axis divergence. This cylindrical lens introduces neither spherical error nor primary coma, which makes it insensitive to misalignment. The setup has been tested with a high power laser diode at 980 nm with a 6 mm long taper (angle 6°) and a facet width of 425 μm. The optics have a transmission of about 90% and the resulting beam has a M2 < 1.5. As a proof of principle 3.2 W were coupled into a 15 μm (NA 0.06) LMA fiber with 55% efficiency corresponding to a brightness B = 140 MW/(cm2 sr). Furthermore the presented beam shaping can easily be extended to bars or multiple emitters to reach power levels that are to date only achievable with complex wavelength combination techniques. © (2014) COPYRIGHT Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). Downloading of the abstract is permitted for personal use only.SPIE | Proceeding | Aplanatic beam shaping for diffraction limited beam circularization of tapered laser diodes

And this
http://www.newport.com/Beam-Shaping-with-Cylindrical-Lenses/144888/1033/content.aspx

Last edited:
Beam circularization. I don't know if this is practical or economical. I'll leave it up to others here to determine if it is.

What to say !!! While I understand the optical description in the above post....the realty of this is that Beam Circularization works !! Anamorphic Prisms....will correct the 445 9mm beam....and they will likely correct the 520 1W beam....if need be !!

Cost wise....under $100 bucks...no big deal !!

Cylinderical lens arrangments....which I have used....are much more demanding in their positioning realitive to the LD !! They work ....BUT....don't need'em. A-prism's will do the job.

It is practical....I have done it !! and I predict it will be economical......:horse:

And..when I get some time...I will cobble together a prototype for show and tell !!!

Attachments

• wizardOfOzScarecrowDiplomaRapture 2.jpg
    wizardOfOzScarecrowDiplomaRapture 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Gadget

MMmmmm ???? See attached drawing. Alas...I am still stuck in the 2D world....and only dream of 3D rendering !!!

CDB....don't feel stuck!
Check out Google SketchUp. It's free, and pretty easy to work with. There are some pretty good rendering extensions to be had for it, too.
I'm in the process of designing a green-blue-violet Lumia Projector with it.

Here's what I have so far...(this is just a 2D export directly from SketchUp, no renderer). I'll post up some more pics when I get the enclosure, speed controllers, and laser modules in.

2 - 3 rpm 12VDC motors with Manual (bi-directional) Digital Speed control (not shown yet) for each.
2 - counter-rotating effect wheels (or just one can be used)

(EDIT)Just for scale, the glass discs are about 5.25" diameter, so this will fit into a pretty small enclosure. I figure it's going to be somewhere around 9"x9"x14".
(EDIT2)I'll make a separate post about this project when design is complete.

Step on into the 3D world!

G

9428-lumia-structure-design04.jpg

9429-lumia-structure-design05.jpg

Last edited:
Thanx Mr. Gadget !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will check that out !!! Free is the right price !!!!!!!!!
I am OK in a Flatland Universe....BUT I will try my hand at 3D !!! Your renders look great !!!!!!! Good luck with uour project !!!! Thanx again !!

Gadget

Thanx Mr. Gadget !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will check that out !!! Free is the right price !!!!!!!!!
I am OK in a Flatland Universe....BUT I will try my hand at 3D !!! Your renders look great !!!!!!! Good luck with uour project !!!! Thanx again !!

Thanks for the kind words!
And, Yes...free is the right price. ;)

And always remember....

9430-us-presidents-quotes-16.jpg

Thanks for the kind words!
And, Yes...free is the right price. ;)

And always remember....

9430-us-presidents-quotes-16.jpg

Mr.G...WOW...SketchUp 2014 is one Hellova free programe !!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have the pro - version ??? MUCH to learn....but very intuitive ....that's 4 sure !!! Sketch Up coupled with Draftsight ( Also Free ).....Amazing stuff!!

Last edited:

Gadget

I do not have the Pro version...I just don't use it enough to justify the price tag.
And,yes...VERY intuitive. I love the program for what I do!

G