Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Adapt 5.6mm diode to 9mm module?

synapsomorphy

Hi! I'm totally new to lasers and trying to do my first build with a PLTB450B. I accidentally bought a 9mm module though and I'm wondering if there's any easy way to adapt the size for it, like some little spacer piece I can buy or 3d print, or if I should just get a 5.6mm module. Thanks!

I've actually tried 3D printing adapters and it kind of worked. However, even diodes of much lower power than the PLTB450B diodes burn up rather quickly because the heat can't be absorbed by the plastic. My reason for trying this was to isolate a case positive diode from the host for polarity issues but it ended up being a lost cause. I have 5.6mm modules for sale if you need them.

synapsomorphy

I've actually tried 3D printing adapters and it kind of worked. However, even diodes of much lower power than the PLTB450B diodes burn up rather quickly because the heat can't be absorbed by the plastic. My reason for trying this was to isolate a case positive diode from the host for polarity issues but it ended up being a lost cause. I have 5.6mm modules for sale if you need them.
I don't see a listing for a 12mm outer / 5.6mm inner module on your ebay, could you link it?

For short usage, could try printing with some fancier filaments that can get hotter, but I think the low heat transfer rate is going to stay no matter what plastic you're using, so it's probably not worth looking much into.

Giannis_TDM

I don't see a listing for a 12mm outer / 5.6mm inner module on your ebay, could you link it?

For short usage, could try printing with some fancier filaments that can get hotter, but I think the low heat transfer rate is going to stay no matter what plastic you're using, so it's probably not worth looking much into.
Yes, No 3D printing filament will be 'good enough' in heat transfer to not cause it to melt or diode to overheat, I have tried it with a 505 at 5mW and that still overheated in less than 30s and its power decreased a lot.

Ricker

I think he meant he had 5.6mm modules for sale.
There's no filament that would have enough thermal conductivity for a diode to transfer heat fast enough. Well, there may be but I wouldn't want to know the price.
I can trade you a 5.6mm for a 9mm but for the price of 2 way shipping I would just snag one from Barnett.

You can wick a compound with copper metal powder. that will set and do somewhat okay with heat transfer (all things considered) - if you absolutely have to meet certain size-offset tolerances but it will be a messy job to align etc.

- but it sounds like it's just a standard off-the-shelf 9mm module, if so' just save it and get a 5.6mm to fit the diode you have.. you can bet the 9mm module will come in handy sooner or later, as 9mm is more or less the norm for higher-powered diodes.
Check eBay, if you're not in a hurry they cost next to nothing, if you can wait a few weeks for the slow boat from China to arrive.