Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ACS4500BU driver Vin = 6V-14V; will this act as a low voltage battery protector for 2 batteries in series?

smana

hello all,

The ACS4500BU and ACS5500BU drivers require a supply voltage (Vin) of 6V to 14V.

When using two lithium batteries in series, will the 6V requirement act to shut down the driver and protect the batteries when they both reach 3V?

If not, what else can be done to protect from overdischarging the batteries and causing battery damage?

Using protected batteries will only protect a single battery or multiple batteries in parallel but will not work for batteries in series so what else can we do?

Note: I have been informed the above drivers will cause the laser beam to blink on and off when Vin goes below 6V so maybe this is good enough of an indicator for the operator to stop and recharge the batteries. Any other options?

Last edited:

smana

The protection circuit usually senses when V reaches 3V or slightly less, maybe 2.8V.

I assume the protection circuit does not know whether that 3V is for that one battery alone or for the combined batteries in series. Is this understanding in error? I hope so because that would solve my problem - just get protected batteries.

Each battery has it's own protection board. It only monitors the battery it's connected too. When any Cell drops below the protection level it will open circuit that battery and the load no longer sees any voltage.

Protected batteries do work with cells in series.

smana

excellent! ok, so I'll just get protected cells since my build is not a high-drain situation.

thank you!