Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

About this 405nm "Assassin" laser pointer...

junksmith_cheddar

Hello guys.
Before knowing how questionable the quality of these 303-reskin laser pointers is, I bought one on Ebay like three to four months ago for a few bucks, thing arrived around a month later, everything went smooth, did some burning, until I had to recharge the battery (a generic 18650, 4800mAh I already had). Next thing I was holding was a dead laser pointer. I removed the battery and it had a slight burning smell, I contacted the seller to demand a replacement, which is free of charge and still on the way (one of those green ones was the option), after that I kept my hands away from that thing.
A week ago, I tried to figure out what could have gone wrong, so I put the battery back on and turned it on against my phone camera lens and saw a veeery dim laser dot coming out from the aperture. That led me to think only the diode got fried.
This gave me the idea of buying a new 405nm diode, maybe a 100mW one, desolder the dead diode and mount the new one, but since I don't have enough experience with electronics, I have the next question:
Is it worth the effort? I want to reuse the host and the driver (if it still works), despite being that cheap.

Photo of that faint dot
dot.jpg
If the diode wasn't dead when I took the photo, it is now, because I pulled out the circuitry using a hammer and a screwdriver and broke the diode.

Encap

Just throw it in the garbage can and get a new one---they are only like $6:50 to $10 on Ebay.

A new diode would cost more than that and taking the laser apart to replce the diode if that is all that is wrong ---the driver could be damaged also-- problematical and not s easy. You probably would ruin it trying

junksmith_cheddar

Just throw it in the garbage can and get a new one---they are only like $6:50 to $10 on Ebay.

A new diode would cost more than that and taking the laser apart to replce the diode if that is all that is wrong ---the driver could be damaged also-- problematical and not s easy. You probably would ruin it trying
😂Thanks, will do. It makes perfect sense now.

Edit: I salvaged the lens and used it for another violet laser pointer.

Last edited: