Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A130 yields

Bogart

So I have harvested about 7 of the A130 projectors now. I usually power them up for a minute or so to verify that they work before going for the diodes.

I power up each diode to test it for good output, and so far have not had a single one come up bad.

This time I used the projector for it's intended purpose for a few hours each day for maybe 10 days before harvesting.

This time in testing, I encountered no less than 3 diodes that were LED'd.

I wonder if operating them for this time "flushed out" the bad ones, or if I just got unlucky and those 3 were dead from the factory.

For the rest of you that harvest these, what have your yields been like?

I also found a fourth diode that appears to have gotten some thermal goop on the window. I don't know if I did that or if it was like that from the factory. I cleaned it with some alcohol on a q-tip and it is improved, but still not as good as a clean one. Any suggestions for cleaning it properly would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Kev

just curious; how do you harvest the diodes? i'd like to see some a130 disassemble pics here. that would be sawheeeeet!

Reactions: ARG
Kev--at one time WL had some pics up that showed a harvest and IIRC there were some posted here too= maybe by DTR??

Bog-- I have done six projectors half of them 130s- i had one diode die in a build after a very short fall onto a carpet and one buyer say one got VERY hot and went to a very low power( but not LEDed0 I suspect perhaps he did not have it in a HS sink as how else did he feel the 'heat'?
my last(140) I powered the entire array for a few seconds only and tried (w/goggles) to see if all were at least about equal to the eye in brightness and they were.

there is a guy on PL-Krazer I think that tested over 1000 ca5io diodes(maybe still in the arrays?) and has the results posted there-- he did find some zombies, doas and a few freaks- one sled had four doas-- rotten luck on that one.

From the 140s however he had very few that were high or low and almost none that were doa--better binning imo.
DTR and Yobresal and Dave have done many more than me so maybe they will chime in here on this.. also can the 130 still even be still gotten?? IIRC they have stopped making them.

the 150 has asaik the same diodes.

just curious; how do you harvest the diodes? i'd like to see some a130 disassemble pics here. that would be sawheeeeet!

Avery (the owner of LPF) says a certain company that owns these projectors has brought him some legal problems. So the thread involving the tutorial on how to harvest the diodes has been removed.
:cryyy:

Bogart

That's a shame there. I have a bunch of harvest pics, but it seems like it might be better for lpf if I didn't post them now.

I will say that harvesting them is not hard at all. I did not read any tutorials or see any pics before beginning my first harvest, and it was straightforward and easy. Things are a little more difficult now with the triwing screws and loctite, but still easier than a lot of sled harvests.

I use a soldering iron to desolder them from the ribbon cable, rather then cutting the cable.

I didn't have any triwings with my X J 14O

I just got lucky I guess. They did have some screws that were only half threaded, so I had to lift them with a razor before they would catch threads and come out.