Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A question about ebay 450nm lasers?

VirginD

Hi. So I ordered the typical "mass manufactured" 1watt blue lasers you see on Ebay, for about $35 it was off from $59 supposedly. I did receive it 3 days ago without any issues, very fast and packaging was also adequate. The laser does burn as intended, and the beam is extremely bright in the night sky and it is extremely visible during indoor settings, comparable with a 100mW 532nm green laser. The burning ability is very impressive, it set my old ass computer chair on fire when I focused it, literally a small flame formed and I had to blow it out, which tells me that this is well above 500mW in power, because 500mW can't set anything ablaze.

My question is, how are they able to mass manufacture this for an extremely cheap price? Why are legitimate sources also selling this higher quality lasers at 3watts for something like $200. In 2007 this type of laser would be extremely expensive like $900 or something.

P.S. there is just one issue that seems to be a problem with the ebay laser, the issue is the end cap/conductivity. The cap when screwed on doesn't really turn the laser on I had to adjust the cap for the laser to work properly. But it does work 100% with no power drop. The end cap/ button is the only issue.

You can make anything cheap if you make a lot of them and source all the parts as cheaply as possible. They probably are able to get the diode for $15 or maybe even a lot less. The rest they can make super cheap. Just some aluminum and possibly even acrylic lens.

GSS

Paying very cheap hourly rates for employment in China.
Most likely used diode's, cheap unstable drivers, and for example the heatsinks inside are brass and very small and brass is very easy to machine and easy on tooling. It is not a good heatsinking metal though.
Then the insides are pressed together with alot of glue.
Still though it does make me think how they can make money, but they sure do.
Watch a duty cycle closely. I would do 20 seconds or 25 seconds max and 60 seconds off if you want to have a chance of it to last. They did use plastic lenses a while ago which would melt after a couple of runs but lately they seem to be made of glass.
The tail cap issue seems to be brought up alot.

gazer101

Now if only I could get a single 1W green laser diode for $35...