Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A lazy way to make my new laser driver (3A buck, Completed))

pcb1_zps8qamsrxi.jpg

pcb2_zpswmmatyji.jpg

1_zps1dgvqb9x.jpg

So I am designing another driver for high power blue LD. PCB etching is always a nightmare to me. I ended up picking up my hand drill and engrave the board myself. To be honest. It save me up to 500% time to make the board this way. Oh yeah it doesn't look good but who care? The last picture does loo like a sim card to me :D. Will solder the components will I have spare time. Thanks for watching.

Update:

Finally have time to complete this board. Well it doesn't look good as expected but it does work well IMO

3_zpsppsuybgv.jpg

4_zpspuwgqntt.jpg

While it reach its specification (3A). I am not going to drive it any harder cos this thing is hot. 3A should pretty enough for most application. :evil: I am still experimenting with varies IC I recently targeted. Will see if any other chip perform better.

Last edited:

Pman

Re: A lazy way to make my new laser driver

If it works it works:)
How big is that is what I want to know.

Benm

It's a decent technique to make very small numbers of boards. I've done the same in the past of one-off RF items where the opposite side would be a solid ground plane. As long as you are hand soldering the components it works just fine, and even reflow soldering is possible - just forget about wave soldering as that will make a poper mess on boards made this way.

I wouldn't call it lazy though as it is quite a lot of work. Worth it if you're building just one or a few of them, after that etching the boards becomes a lot less effort even if you have to do it yourself.

It's a decent technique to make very small numbers of boards. I've done the same in the past of one-off RF items where the opposite side would be a solid ground plane. As long as you are hand soldering the components it works just fine, and even reflow soldering is possible - just forget about wave soldering as that will make a poper mess on boards made this way.

I wouldn't call it lazy though as it is quite a lot of work. Worth it if you're building just one or a few of them, after that etching the boards becomes a lot less effort even if you have to do it yourself.

You are right Ben. Now I am addicted to make the board this way.:D

Just curious, are you willing to share the components you used? I'm curious as to what you actually have on the Eagle schematic.

Geeker

Nice work you've done. Very few parts count as well. Will love to see how it actually perform with LD.

Just curious, are you willing to share the components you used? I'm curious as to what you actually have on the Eagle schematic.

I guess this is not a open source project otherwise he should include the component info in OP.