Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A laser diode for a diy edc

So I had a diy project in mind that requires a laser. This project would be an edc, so of course I'd like to ask a bit on these forums to get some safety tips and get some help looking for the right laser.

The only requirements I have from the laser is that it provides enough power so that it can lit a match, cigarette, a piece of wood, etc, etc, from a few centimeters of distance(not that the distance matters that much I suppose) with an exposure time of a few seconds. How powerful a laser would this require, and would this laser be considered dangerous?

ARG

The only requirements I have from the laser is that it provides enough power so that it can lit a match, cigarette, a piece of wood, etc, etc, from a few centimeters of distance
would this laser be considered dangerous?

I think you answered your own question. Think about what a laser with enough power to light a match can do to your eyes. ;)

Last edited:

Rifter

Use appropriate eye protection while burning ANYTHING. So don't forget to take the safety glasses with you everywhere.

I recommend the eagle pair glasses for $40-$50. Make sure they cover IR as well if using with a DPSS laser.

For that type of burning power I recommend a 300mw or greater single mode diode, or a 1 watt+ multimode. Use a G1/G2 with either laser to maximize burning power.

A M140 is probably the cheapest option to get that done.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, they've helped giving me a better insight into the precautions one needs to take when handling lasers, and that's why I asked you :)