Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A juvenile question...

JasonV

... after some thought, i decided not to post this in the "experiments and mods" thread....

Has any one used their laser to fry bugs or insects in their house? since i got my x-65 i have yet to see any, so i cant give my own input. Discuss please. ::)

p.s at what power level would this be possible?

~jason

eggsy

i have an x-65 too with pretty good specs and i can light unsharpied matches without a lens but i dont think u can fry bugs with it. you might have a chance if the beam is steady and the bug is dead still lol. if you have a lens to focus the beam you might have more luck.

see what you can do with your x-65 and let us know. im excited to fry bugs too :D

and to all the high powered laser owners out there, how powerful does the laser have to be to be able to fry bugs?

You can only chase them around. Even with a watt of green it takes a minute or two because they jump out of the way.

60 watts does the trick :) I can admit to putting holes in grasshoppers.

BooBoo

I just killed a gnat/fruit-fly with two applications, first one made it jump and flutter on its side out of the way...and the second, I sort of followed it until it stopped dragging itself... It was acheived with a >125mW...so economically it is not going to beat a good old-fashioned fly-swatter...but it can be done with dilligence and a touch of a sadistic streak, with Well under a watt :D

*Now bees and grass-hoppers and such, well just might need a little more patience and mWs ;)

This is mean...
Killing bugs to get them out of you house I can understand...
But burining them?
You guys are pretty mean. :p
LOL!!
I almost posted it without an "a" in the mean!
I almost called you pretty men! :eek:

JasonV

hey steve, ill first thank you for finding links.  Now im going to ask you to calm down a little bit if it is possible. One of the reasons i enjoy and frequent this forum is due to the lack of situations , such as the one you just presented,("flaming" if you will) that one can find at most other places. To accuse myself and others that have participated in this thread to be sadistic children who are incapable of any "acceptable" laser practices  is certainly crossing a line. This is a reasonable inquiry spawned from curiosity rather than puerility. It also seems possible that you could have stated your concerns and offered alternatives without the negative word slinging.
~jason

Milos

Kids do it on a sunny day with zoom lens, .. and then they grow up. (hopefully)

The obvious inefficiency in getting rid of insects by use of laser suggests killing for fun more than anything. Actually, as steve01 said, more like torturing.
There is plenty of ways to repel, and get rid of insects without smoking them.

Sorry but this is just wrong idea and you can't cover it in pink.

JasonV said:
hey steve, ill first thank you for finding links. Now im going to ask you to calm down a little bit if it is possible. One of the reasons i enjoy and frequent this forum is due to the lack of situations , such as the one you just presented,("flaming" if you will) that one can find at most other places. To accuse myself and others that have participated in this thread to be sadistic children who are incapable of any "acceptable" laser practices is certainly crossing a line. This is a reasonable inquiry spawned from curiosity rather than puerility. It also seems possible that you could have stated your concerns and offered alternatives without the negative word slinging.
~jason

I said exactly what I meant to say.

Can we PLEASE get back to the stated purpose of this board "general discussion about lasers and laser pointers" ?
Jason, thicken that skin up.
Steve, deal with the fact that not everyone believes the same things that you do.
And lets EVERYONE move on! :mad:

I hope I got this in just before the lock ;)

JasonV

lol at "thicken that skin up"

please understand that i was just trying to determine if it was possible, and if so at what power level.
I was expecting to get some numbers on the forums, ergo not having to find out my self. If i could kill a spider on my wall while i am laying in bed with just a laser, then yes, that would be the ideal option! I am still trying to become more familiar with lasers so next time i have a question that will further help my understanding, ill be sure to try to find a "back-up" forum as well.

C

Chris.

"Fly spray contains chemicals (including many organophosphate compounds) that bind to and permanently block the action of an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase.

Acetyl choline (ACh) is the nerve transmitter substance released by motor neurones (at a site called the neuromuscular junction) to stimulate muscle contraction.

The muscles relax (stops contracting) when the ACh is removed from the neuromuscular junction (NMJ) by the action of acetylcholinesterase.

By inhibiting the cholinesterase the fly can no longer break down ACh in the NMJ and so its muscles lock up in a state of tetany (continuous contraction) making flying and respiration impossible."

Yeah... fly spray, the obviously more humane option.
The same chemical techniques apply to many pest control products, not just fly spray..

Yes, I have killed a small spider. Just chase it with the beam and hold it steady, sooner or later it will die.

By the way, if you think I am cruel - I just hate bugs, spiders, insects..in general... :-/

JasonV

ah hell pyro, you could have said that earlier and ended things right then!!! my eyes are opened now. :D