Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A few laser questions

Folder

Hey, I'm from Australia and have recently 'got into' lasers. Recently I tried to import a 50mw green laser into here, as I've been told the customs rarely catch them. They caught mine. I'm open to ideas to get them past customs, if that's allowed here -- if it isn't, sorry for asking the question. It's only 'laser pointers above 1mw' that are illegal to import here: anything that isn't explicitly a pointer, i.e diodes of any strength, drivers, etc, are fine. I'm thinking that an option is to build my own laser. I'm currently looking at buying the 1W 445nm laser diode, some laser glasses, a housing and everything else that's needed to get a home-made laser to work. I realise that since I have little electronics experience and no laser-making experience, it would be best to start on something smaller, and cheaper. I've found a 100mw 445nm build for about $30 US that I'm willing to try. My question is where I would go to find a little bit of information about doing this before I set off.

Cheers.

ped

All you have to do mate is have a nose around here....do searches on keywords like "first build" or "diy green laser" ect...think about what question you would like answered, then type the simplified question in the search area.

My advice would be start off with a simple red laser build...cheap diodes ect.

Welcome to the forums.

this is where you want to be >>>
33msdix.jpg

Folder

Thanks. I have been trying to search but it keeps removing my keyword and making my search into a useless bunch of words, but yeah thank you

The search function is horrible, and isn't what everyone makes it out to be.

If you want to get an idea of how to build, my signature has two links which may help you.

Also, any laser that isn't powered by batteries is legal to import.

Not sure what either of your problems are with the search. I just did about a dozen and didn't have any problems getting the intended threads to come up high on the list that I was aiming to get.

What search term were you using? And if it was a phrase you didn't want searched by individual words, did you enclose the phrase in quotes?

For instance.. I find no shortage of threads dealing with the subject and question posed in the OP of this one..

importing lasers australia - Google Search

I think you both need to go work on your google-fu.. :D Since that's what this forum uses to search.