Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A driver without any power...

[TOPIC EDIT]
Scroll down to read the Actual Situtation​
Hy!

I am Quentin (I'm french, sorry for my english) and I'm not an expert in electronic... I need to create a laser (if it can burn, it will be nice) with a laser diode of a DVD burner. I made a driver to supply a laser diode from a DVD/CD RW Burner.
(Sony NEC Optiarc AD-5200A - Lecteur de disque - DVD±RW (±R DL) - 20x/20x - IDE - interne - 5.25" - noir Sony)

There is the schematic of the driver :

614540Schma.png

(I follow this tutorial to make my laser : here)

But unfortunatly, the power of the laser is very low... I can't see any light in the dark, I just can see a little glow at the output of the laser diode...

I think it's the potentiometer which is the problem, because when I raise the potentiometer, the intensity of the little glow don't move...

The is a pic of my montage (Like I said, I am not very good in electronic...) :

809248DSC0023.jpg

I really need to MAKE this laser driver, it's important for me, it's for an exam^^ (not in electronic obviously, but it's just an extra for my oral)

If my work at this time is wrong for what i need, feel free to redirect me to another schematic!

Thank you in advance :)

Quentin

Last edited:

The symbol of the LM317 doesn't directly translate to the physical LM317 ,

Looking at how you have it , you are trying to put power into the Adjust pin .

On the LM317 ( pins pointing down , front of the LM317 facing you ) from left to right it is - Adjust , V Out , V In

Last edited:
The symbol of the LM317 doesn't directly translate to the physical LM317 ,

Looking at how you have it , you are trying to put power into the Adjust pin .

On the LM317 ( pins pointing down , front of the LM317 facing you ) from left to right it is - Adjust , V Out , V In

Ok thank you! (Yes I'm not an expert...) It's so much better. The power of the glow change now! but with the maximum of the power, the diode is apparent, but not very much... It's about the capacity of the laser diode you think?

Now, my circuit is like that (I think it's right this time) :

963684DSC0026.jpg

Edit :

And after reflexion, I note that the laser diode and the LM317 are really hot... I don't know if this is normal.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I am seeing the wiring correctly or not, but the variable resistor didn't look wired correctly to me in the photo, you should connect one of the two wires of this part to the wiper pin, right now it looks like you have it hooked up to act as a simple resistor and when you adjust it, the resistance won't change at all that way.

If the regulator is getting hot, put a heat sink on it, but I don't know the current you are trying to push to know if it is needed or not.

Last edited:
[The Actual Situation]

Hi!

Since I create this topic, I change My schematic, here is the new one :

Driver.jpg

I have always the same problem... I have created the driver for this tutorial : Random How To: DIY- How To Make A Burning Laser The Right Way! Now With Video Of Laser In Action!

But my laser diode is just a little red glow... (I need to create a laser, which burn with a laser diode from a dvd burner)

the potentiometer of my driver works, you can see my driver here :

613974DSC0010.jpg

Here :

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/421024DSC0006.jpg

And the potentiometer here :

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/383351DSC0012.jpg

You can see more precisely the LM317T here :

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/119429DSC0011.jpg

And finally the laser diode without any power here...

303912DSC0014.jpg

I checked the battery, I checked the wire, I checked the soldering, I checked the connexion with the LM317T and the potentiometer (2connexions)...

But my laser don't work! And I know that after, I will need to put a lens for converge the laser beam but to do that I need more than a little glow!

I think is the laser diode which is not very powerful... This laser diode is from a DVD reader, but I don't know if it was also a writer with a speed of 16X or more...

I need a solution, it's definetly my diode, or my driver is wrong?

Thank you in advance ;)

Last edited:
If the voltage from OUT to ADJ is 1.25V, the lm317 is doing what it should, and the driver is probably operating properly.

Your battery might be dead (9V batteries are not good for high current like this), or your laser diode might be dead from incorrectly powering it previously, or from lack of heat sinking.