Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A big HELLO from Wrigley Tinn

Hello there, I'm Richard C Normus... Dick for short :eg:

Been into lasers quite a while after seeing some outstanding laser shows some 20yrs ago here in the UK (Alton Towers fireworks display 1993)... and was totally amazed at what could of been done way back then !

After owning a few keyring / pen lasers over the years that I failed to be impressed by I left them alone for many a year... but the internet opens doors to your interests and I came across LPF which awakened certain desires...

I currently own (safety first) a couple of pairs of Dragon Laser safety glasses.
a PL532 - 200 from laserbtb... (just love the divergence on this)
a DTR 9mm 445nm diode & X-Drive module fitted into a cheap Aurora C6 host with a Survival Lasers extended and tapered heatsink... What awesome power !!... Still, the greenie scares the pigeons better than the blue !!
As for Mr "DTR" such a faultless chap, always ready to help and such a speedy supplier. Thank you kind Sir !!

Here's a beamshot from the 445nm :-
IMG_20141212_190028_zpsqgv9xq29.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One of the better introductory posts around here :)

Looks like you don't need a standard tour of "Read stickies, buy goggles, etc", so, just a short +reputation given, and warm welcome :)

Why thank you Eudaimonium... I've been reading posts a fair few months here on LPF and aimed to introduce myself with a similar respect as to what I hold in this site, with exception, perhaps, to my name :)...
... without LPF I wouldn't of known trusted sellers... I'd neither of known about the importance of "good" safety glasses.
Indeed I somewhat feel indebted to LPF though with the kind nature of members I'm sure just being thankful (in a big way... I can still see!!) should hopefully suffice...

I fore see many a person getting into lasers with what's posted on You-tube and the like without any experience (or thought) the possible dangers and the thought is a little frightening, so I fully support LPF and what it stands for...

Stay safe & stay happy

Welcome WT,
This is indeed the best place for learning and sharing all things laser awesomeness. Thank you for the great introduction.
Cheers
Jeff

Thanks Jeff...
I see in your signature you've got 2 O-like products that I tried buying.... They showed good quantity of stock then, is it Suzy?, emailed to say no stock... I requested 2 alternatives also with the thread for the diffraction caps as they was on the order too... Also "No stock"....
I'd read about the mixed reviews over O-like and this lack of professionalism put me off... though I do like those hosts along with Sharp host....
Not to worry though, I'm more than happy with what I have so far... though the laserbtb is too easy to turn on accidently in your pocket if key lock is on.

How do you rate your O-like products / did you get the diffraction caps ?

Thanks Jeff...
I see in your signature you've got 2 O-like products that I tried buying.... They showed good quantity of stock then, is it Suzy?, emailed to say no stock... I requested 2 alternatives also with the thread for the diffraction caps as they was on the order too... Also "No stock"....
I'd read about the mixed reviews over O-like and this lack of professionalism put me off... though I do like those hosts along with Sharp host....
Not to worry though, I'm more than happy with what I have so far... though the laserbtb is too easy to turn on accidently in your pocket if key lock is on.

How do you rate your O-like products / did you get the diffraction caps ?

Its been hit or miss with O-like. I now own 3 of their lasers and am happy with 2 of them. Just today my 250mW 650 in the Sharp High-power host arrived. Its a really solid host probably the best quality feel out of the 3 I own from O-like. I recommend getting it in grey though. I got black and it looks like a nicer 501b. The grey brings out more characteristics in the host IMO. I don't have an LPM but it seems to be about right from what I have read about 650's in that wattage. That is to say alarm bells of under-spec aren't going off when I look at the beam like they did with the 405nm.

My 405nm Power Rock from them was a grave disappointment other than the host and actually have an on going dispute with O-like about it. I have the whole review and dispute thread written and saved to publish later. I don't want to publish it here until after her resolution has been followed through with. So far she has been very receptive to my grievance and has offered a fair solution for their false advertising. The laser advertised as a 400mW but metered at 268mW. Its kind of a pointless laser TBH. It wont burn and the beam is near invisible unless I fog the hell out of the room. I will probably tear it down and use the host for a different build someday. This is the nicest host they offer I think.

I will say this for O-like they have gotten every order to me in 3 weeks or less and without any trouble shipping wise. She usually gets back to all my emails quickly. I would order from them again if I can get a power assurance from her ahead of time. I get the feeling they try to sneak in under powered drivers to cut down on lasers breaking down on people. The lasers can do what they are advertised they just choose to go easy on the the diodes for longevity. This is what I gather from many emails back and forth over my dispute. If you tell her you own an LPM and will send the thing back if its under-spec they might be more apt to set the drivers higher. I know another fella here had a skype call with her before he ordered and got an over spec laser from her.

I wrote a review of my Crown Upgrade if you wish to read more.

Last edited:
The hosts you chose are the best they have IMO2... which is why I thought I'd take a risk with them..... but when she said they was out of stock of the 2 I wanted even though they showed plenty of stock it rather P'd me off... So I came back to LPF and noticed most GB's are from LaserBTB so I went there with trust in my mind.

That's a real poor do with the 405nm, but surely it should still burn at over 250mW.... My green 200mW has no problem, I can even light cigarettes and it is IR filtered... not LPM'd though.

My next build will be based on a 405nm module from DTR, I'd like to put it in my C6 host that I have my 445nm in and find a bigger host for my blue for better heatsinking.....

Right... I'm off on a wander to read your review on the O-Like Crown Upgrade :)

Yea it will burn just not very quickly. I should have been more detailed.
BTB is a great choice. I'm not a fan of key switches and plugs though. And the hosts are pretty boring but you get a great quality laser and that's what counts. Enjoy.

The blank plug is simple... just leave it in... The host is actually better than the pics suggest, which was a nice suprise... though I do agree, there's way better.... and for a side switch that presses too easily in your pocket you need the key switch... it's caught me unaware twice firing up in my pocket.... and I do prefer my C6 for simplicity...

Hmmnnn... a juvenile delinquent I see.... Now let me correct you :-
It should of been....

"Hi Dick, Wriggley Tinn, I'm vagina"...

but for you effort I shall still give you 4 out of 10

:na:

Hmmnnn... a juvenile delinquent I see.... Now let me correct you :-
It should of been....

"Hi Dick, Wriggley Tinn, I'm vagina"...

but for you effort I shall still give you 4 out of 10

:na:

Or you could say "Thanks for the laugh and the complimentary positive rep VisibleGreen" :tsk: :p

Last edited:
Ironically I've met some brilliant members from here without being a member...... and more false words (I'm English where a mans word is a mans bond) from members here...... Something I wasn't expecting from a site I held in high respect ...... ... I understand I may be a nobody here, but " at least" honor my wordI, ..... and always mean well..... but hey ho..... life is life !!

Ironically I've met some brilliant members from here without being a member...... and more false words (I'm English where a mans word is a mans bond) from members here...... Something I wasn't expecting from a site I held in high respect ...... ... I understand I may be a nobody here, but " at least" honor my wordI, ..... and always mean well..... but hey ho..... life is life !!

You lost me on this reply. Say what now?