Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A 1W 445nm laser built in just under 5 miniutes (with pictures)

Hi all,

I'm almost embarassed to post this but hopefully it will help and inspire some.

The reason for my reluctance is that this was just too darn easy to build, all due to Jayrob's dedication, quality, and level of detail he puts into his builds/kits.

I ordered the 18650 kit "hot option" with all the copper upgrades and driver preset to requested amount. That option includes everything you need except the diode and battery. Jay bascially does everything for you and leaves the two wire leads to hook up the diode.

This is all there is to it.

1) Press diode into custom copper module (~1 minute)
2) Solder supplied leads onto diode (~1 minute)
3) Assemble entire body, heatsink and module w/ set screw, battery and switch (~2 minute)
4) Thread lens into custom EzFocus ring, apply teflon tape to remaining threads (optional) and screw it into module (~1 minute)

...there you have it, in all of about 5 minutes, you have yourself a 1+W 445nm laser in a very cool looking host.

Now obviously this doesn't include any of the time Jay spends making all of the custom parts and settings, but that's what you pay for :)

I'm just saying that if anyone wants to get into this, or just get ahold of a 1W 445nm laser, this is probably the most easiest, safest, and least risk option you can find.

The images don't show the steps mentioned above exactly, but you should get the general idea.

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

I have not taken any beam shots or burn shots yet, but I assure you this thing works like a charm, is extremely bright, extremely hot, and since it's got such a nice focusing ring, you can get a very fine point.

I have to say that when I was finished, I was a bit bummed that the experience ended so quickly...but once I turned the thing on, my grief was short lived :D

Hope some find this useful...if anything, you should really go check out Jay's stuff, he's got lots more than what I've mentioned here.

Thanks!

DrSid

Jayrob rocks. Still you put it together really well. If only all laser you can buy would be this quality !

daguin

Nicely done :beer:

Yes. It is always better to do it yourself. Not only is it less expensive, but you get the pride of knowing that YOU had a hand it finishing your own laser.

I tell people all the time, "This is NOT rocket science." ;)

Peace,
dave

**EDIT** -- Thanks for the link