Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

900-1000mw 405nm in S4 host?

Biggie Cheese

Hello, this is my first post here on LPF, and I am wondering if the tapered and extended copper heatsink is enough heatsinking for the 16x 12mm module without driver from DTR in the survival laser S4 host. I am also curious to how many mA you would recommend me the driver should output.:unsure:

If this will work my plan is to have the BDR-209 12mm module without driver and for the host buying This kit with S4 extended and tapered heatsink, drilled driver pill and the blank battery contact board and then find a good driver, or use the adjustable 400mA - 1.1A driver.

If you guys have any recommendations to things I have or should do differently please share your thoughts!:D

Last edited:

If I were going to use that host with a BDR-209, I'd use the full copper heat sink at $14.00 and have the driver set for 530 mA as it is part of this host. I like to use very large heat sinks with my 405nm diodes because they are susceptible to damage at high power levels. The driver set at 530 mA is not so high as to cause over concern for me on this, however. If you decide to use another driver, try a boost driver set at 500 mA as the Vf of this diode is higher than most and you can use a single 18650 battery.

Hi, BC,
Nice choice for the BDR-209/405nm diode your duty cycles should be short about 30sec on and 30 sec off. These guys don't like to be pushed around , but are really nice burners . Nice build need some pics when your done buddy.
Here is a pic of a build I just made for a customer as you can see the heat sink is adequately sized for the diode. The Violet Powder coating matches the wave length with the brass focus adapter. The diode, driver and G2 lens are from DTR's Laser Shop and is preset with leadsfullsizeoutput_9a6.jpegfullsizeoutput_9a7.jpegfullsizeoutput_9a9.jpegfullsizeoutput_9cb.jpeg
Rich:)