Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6X GGW Help

I bought a 6X GGW sled. I need to know what is a decent setting for the
Blu-Ray diode? Should I go by mA or should I go by mWs? I'm using a rkcstr
driver with an AixiZ plastic lens. I read as much as I could absorb and it
seems that each diode has it own sweet spot. But I do not have any of the
tools to tell me what the sweet spot is. I'm having another person make it
for me and I think he is using a dummy drive and a LPM. Any suggestions
would be great.

Well... you know what I'm going to say...................
Go with mW...... ::)

All kidding aside... since LDs are rated at output power...
I believe checking mW is the better way to know what
your LD is doing... and to not exceed it...
And if you do exceed that limit... you will know by how much
more precisely.. :cool:

Jerry

lasersbee said:
Well... you know what I'm going to say...................
Go with mW...... ::)

All kidding aside... since LDs are rated at output power...
I believe checking mW is the better way to know what
your LD is doing... and to not exceed it...
And if you do exceed that limit... you will know by how much
more precisely.. :cool:

Jerry

Agreed, but with the 6X to many mAs will fry it too. I'd like to get 170mW but from what I have read the mA's may be to much depending on the efficiency of the diode. Igor wrote if the currant increases dramatically when it starts to warm up to back it off, because that may fry the diode at any mW over 160.

Sorry if my questions are dumb, my eyes are crossed. I just read all 49 pages of the AMK 4X, 6X GB from last year. And I closed all my notes by accident. :(

jayrob

A lot of people have been pushing the 6X diodes to 220mA's and above...

I have had good results at the 180mA to 190mA range. I like to stay on the slightly more conservative side.

With a 'normal efficiency' GGW diode, you should see 180mW's @ 190mA's through AixiZ acrylic. I have one very high efficiency (freak) 6X diode that I have in one of my Key Chain builds that is set at 183mA's. It gave 215mW's through AixiZ acrylic before I changed the lens...
Jay

P.S. I have found it to be a good practice to check the diode output before completing a build. I have a 'test host with driver' specifically for this. Once you know what kind of mA/mW efficiency your diode is, you will make a determination on what current setting to have your build driver at before you complete the build. ;)

Thanks Jay. What about the "kink"? Igor said if its set on a kink it will burn it out faster.

I need to know cause this will be the last diode I can buy for a while.

Thanks again in advance.

jayrob

The kink will vary with each diode. This can only be found by testing the power, and turning the current up each time and making a graph.

I would say that 180mA's to 190mA's is a safe bet for these 6X diodes. Of course, nobody can guarantee this, but it is on the semi-conservative side. I have my first successful 6X diode at 191mA's. This was build probably over a year ago. Now I never turn it on for more that 1 minute duty cycles. But this is just a precaution. Igor has stated that duty cycle is not necessarily needed, but obviously, it cannot hurt right?

I check the power from time to time, and it has not degraded. I have 3 different 6X builds in different hosts that are all in that same current range. So that's why I say it is a pretty safe bet. But as you know, we are pushing these (and all) diodes beyond their normal use recommendations...
Jay

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking 185mA's would be a good setting. I'm not looking for a death ray, just something that will last for a while.

jayrob

It will still be very powerful at that current...

Depending on the efficiency of the diode you get, and the lens you use. My 183mA 'freak' 6X is putting out 268mW's! :)

... Using you know what. :D
Jay

Last edited:

rkcstr

I got about 200mW at 200mA with an Aixiz acrylic lens.  265mW after my "Jayrob special" lens  ;)

jayrob

That's a 'Hotter' than normal diode for sure Ryan! :cool:

It is strange that you got over 30% increase. But this is most likely due to the idea that your AixiZ acrylic lens had some degradation at that power. I believe you mentioned that you had thought so...
Jay

Last edited: