Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6x BR diode, first build update (pics)

Hey all, I posted (and joined) a few weeks ago, and I asked a few questions about builds, and read more posts then I can recall, anyway, I felt like I had accumulated a decent amount of knowledge, and I ordered parts, they showed up, and I have all the hard parts done I think. I have the driver, tested my and set my output with my test load, set the diode in the module, soldered the leads, and what do you know it, a beautiful 405nm light shone forth :D

In order the attachments show:
1) 6x BR diode I pressed into an Aixiz module
2) quickly drawn diagram of the inside of the host, I still need to mill the heatsink, it's a bit overkill for such a low power build, but I want to practice with inexpensive parts first before I try it with expensive bits. The host is an ultrafire that holds 2x cr123a 3.6V 1000mAh rechargable li-ion batteries.
3) testing rckstr microdrive with a test load
4) ~190mA output from the driver, should correspond to ~200mW laser output according to manufacturer specs
5) soldered driver
6) closer up picture of the driver
7) another closup, after being soldered to the diode in the module
8) ah, that one just speaks for itself :yh:

(it focuses beautifully too, I just lack the coordination to hold the batteries and the driver/diode while focusing and taking a picture...)

A big thanks to everyone who offered me advice, and answered my questions, and a big thanks to everyone else who has posted tutorials, and how too guides, I've probably looked at it, and I couldn't have done it without you (or it would have been a lot harder). :thanks:

After I get the heatsink milled and everything set in the host, I will surely post pics. I don't have a lpm, so I'm sorry, but I won't be able to verify the output, an lpm is next on my shopping list, whenever the money floats around. After that, maybe I'll venture into a higher power 445nm, I know there are plenty of kits members sell here, for very good prices, but in the end, I like building things. Though, I'm sure I may end up ordering some kits too, as it seems I am quite enjoying this hobby, and a small collection would be nice. Collections accumulate much faster when there is less custom building involved.

Thanks again for reading, and for everyone's help!

Attachments

• DSCF0232.jpg
    DSCF0232.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF0241.jpg
    DSCF0241.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCF0235.jpg
    DSCF0235.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF0236.jpg
    DSCF0236.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF0237.jpg
    DSCF0237.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0238.jpg
    DSCF0238.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF0239.jpg
    DSCF0239.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCF0240.jpg
    DSCF0240.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 168

Yea the first light from a new 405 is just beautiful. :D

Also I must say I really love your Avatar!

Last edited:
Thank you! I found it and thought it was great, not terribly laser related, but I felt it was still appropriate for a physics major. Oh, and I like the human bubble in your sig :D I have to get me one of those. I would assume your avatar is a ferrous fluid in a magnetic field? Very interesting as well.