Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

650nm Laser Pointer

Is there maybe a cheaper brand for the 5mW green that is still pretty decent? I was originally looking at laserpointerpro but all they sell is chinese clones. I thinking in the 10-20 dollar range.
Thanks

Unfortunately most of the cheap chinese "5mW" pointers are actually much stronger (typically up to 90mW) and would have a VERY visible beam.

Oh, that's actually quite funny because you would expect the opposite. But then again, I am a starter and don't want to spend too much on my first laser. I think I'm going to have to just got with the $7 5mW green from laserpointerpro; I mean, what do I have to lose its 7 bucks? Well, I'm going to stop bothering you guys I know you have more important subjects to tend to.
Thanks for all the help,
Nick

There have been some bad experiences with that shop, just keep that in mind. Good luck!

90mW typical from a random cheap newwish?:whistle:

I've gone through a dozen or so in 2011, aside from the 6 I got from Swim, the rest were consistently ~30mW with ~30% IR content.

Laserpointerpro is not a good choice regardless. There have been a number of issues with them lately. Just buy a cheap 5mW AAA laser and you'll have something to start with. I'm sure you'll be back three days later for a more powerful laser though.

I said UP TO, lol. I suppose "cheap" may be the term in dispute though, <$50 is cheap for 5mW.

LaserLands were selling their 100mW NewWish on ebay as 5mW for a long time. I didn't see any up recently when I checked a few weeks ago. I spoke with one of their CSR's at one point about their eBay auctions and why the pricing was different (cheaper) and they said the ones they mark as 5mW that are high powered ones are the less reliable units, and the ones on their site were the more hardy/stable ones. Add grain of salt, they were probably trying to sell me on the website price, heh, but you never know. Wish I would have saved the emails but that was before I re-registered here on LPF. Back then I was looking for my "getting back in to the hobby" laser.

No I was mostly disputing the up to 90mW... not the price.

90mW cheap newwish pens are exceedingly rare. Yes the UP to technically covers what you're saying, but the typically makes it sound like it's common. It's not.

IMO cheap is <$15 for a laser.