Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

635nm laserpen possible ?

Blord

Ik have a leadlight and a newwish green laserpen. The diodes in these lasers are burnt out. I was potmodding and the results are several dead laserpens.
Is it possible to put a 635nm diode in the pen and lase again ? I was thinking these 635nm diodes which are offering here, 635nm Red 5.6mm laser diode - $3.99 : Modwerx Shop

The original greens had 5mW power. I need to remove the cristals in order to work with the red diodes.

Attachments

• leadlight.jpg
    leadlight.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 147
  • newwish.jpg
    newwish.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 133

Sure, but you'll need a new driver, and AixiZ module. Also keep the output less than 20mA. Anything more, and you'll fry the diode.

Sure, but you'll need a new driver, and AixiZ module. Also keep the output less than 20mA. Anything more, and you'll fry the diode.

20mA?

The lasing threshold for this diode is 30mA...
Typical operating current is 45mA.
MAX operating current is 60mA

If Blord only runs his SLD63518262 diode at 20mA, all he will have is a red LED.
Using two AA or two AAA cells as the power source, a 25 ohm resistor is all that is required for a driver.

The data sheet is attached to this message.

Attachments

• sld63518xxx.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,224

Blord

Thank you for your answers. Building a complete laser from components is a bridge too far for me. I want to use the clicky on/off of the pointer and I don't know if it is possible with a separate driver.

If I buy a cheap low-power 660nm red laser pointer from dealextreme, like this DealExtreme: $10.90 30mW 650nm Red Laser Pointer Pen (2*AAA) and just change the diode into a 635nm diode , what mW laser pointer should I take ?

Blord

If you're in the US DX won't ship that laser to you.

That will be no problem because I am from Belgium. The latest $/€ exchange rate is very favorable for me to buy goods from outside Europe. :)

That will be no problem because I am from Belgium. The latest $/€ exchange rate is very favorable for me to buy goods from outside Europe. :)

now if only US money worked like that....

20mA?

The lasing threshold for this diode is 30mA...
Typical operating current is 45mA.
MAX operating current is 60mA

If Blord only runs his SLD63518262 diode at 20mA, all he will have is a red LED.
Using two AA or two AAA cells as the power source, a 25 ohm resistor is all that is required for a driver.

The data sheet is attached to this message.

Oops. I thought it was one of those low powered 635nm diodes that I have.

I bought 2 of the 635nm 5mw from modwerx and they showed a min of 20ma to lase, 30ma for 5 mw @ 635nm, 40ma for 7mw and they go up a little in frequency to 640-650nm?

*brain fart*

I have the same diodes. I got mA mixed up with mW. I know you can push them to 20mWs, some even got 40mWs.

If you just want to swap the 635nm diode in an existing red laser pointer, the safest way would be to do that with a <5mW red laser pointer, as the driver will most likely be putting out about the correct amount of current. IF you put this diode into a higher powered red pointer than 5mW, you will likely over drive the 635nm diode.

The safest thing to do once you choose the red laser pointer to modify, would be to measure the current between the tail cap and the battery. Since this is a red laser the driver is most likely not a boost regulator and the current through the driver will be the same as the current through the diode. Check to make sure this current is not more than 40mA before installing the 635nm diode.

Also make sure the pins match up with the diode in the pointer.

Good Luck!